1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network issue or PC issue? random DCs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kallak, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kallak

Kallak Thread Starter

Hello, I am posting here in the hopes that someone will be able to help me figure out what is wrong with my connection or possibily PC - as I'm unsure as to which is the problem.

My PC is on a network in the building that I live in. Previously I was on a wired connection and things were normal as far as internet goes. I could play games, browse the web, use voice chat, etc..

Recently, there has been a new addition to the building and I was forced to have to move my PC location. However, there were no cables available, so I had to switch to a wireless card. Now I get random DCs from the game I play online and it's starting to drive me crazy and the people that I play with online.

It always happens one of 2 ways. Either [a] the game and ventrilo lock up/lag out for like 10 or 15 seconds and then I get disconnected, and am able to immediately reconnect (which while better is still really bad) or the game and ventrilo lock up/lag out for like 10 or 15 seconds and then I cannot reconnect without either rebooting my PC -or- going to my wireless connection window and disconnecting and then reconnecting to my wireless network.

I always get really angry because even when I'm locked up/lagged out and disconnected, I mouse over my network icon and it tells me that I'm connected with great signal strength and that everything is fine, and yet these disconnects keep happening. Sometimes twice in a night, sometimes 5 or 6 times.

I am pretty heavily involved in the activities online and my DCing is starting to have a pretty big impact and it's making alot of my online friends angry with me, in addition to being very embarassing. Does this situation sound familiar to anyone out there? One guy online said that maybe my PC isn't powerful enough to run the wireless as smoothly as the wired, but I don't know. Any help would be really appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could be that you have multiple wireless utilities running, or wireless interference, or there is a lot of usage of the wireless network.

3. Kallak

Kallak Thread Starter

My systemtray shows both the wireless network icon (currently in use) and also the old wired network icon (with an X in it saying cable is unplugged). Could this be causing it? If that's a possibility, how would I turn that other setup off?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not using the ethernet is not causing this problem. If you don't want the cable is unplugged message you can disable the ethernet connection in Network Connections.

5. Kallak

Kallak Thread Starter

Okay, that's good to know. Anything else I can look at and try to help fix?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the most up to date driver for your wireless adapter. From the PC manufacturer's web site if the adapter is integrated. Sorry, I should have included this in my first post.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/735057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice