1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network issue.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 24giovanni, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24giovanni

24giovanni Banned Thread Starter

I have a win 98SE os and a win2000 OS connected by my router. I use to be able to access each computer's drives by going through Network neighborhood (win98) and my network places (win 2K) but I no longer can on either machine. The only thing I changed was putting Zone Alarm on win98 and Claimwin (win2k) antivirus programs on each machine. Would these software programs prevent me from accessing each computer? If so, what do I need to do to have access. Any help is appreciative.

2. blin

blin

yes, that is the problem. quoted from www.chicagotech.net.

Zone Alarm may disable file sharing
    You setup a peer-to-peer network correctly but no one can see one of the networking computers and the computer can't see others. Later you find that Installing ZA prevents file sharing because Zone Alarm will consider all other machines on the network as untrusted and will not allow them to communicate with the machine ZA is installed on. Resolution: 1) Disabling Zone Alarm. 2) To fix this, in the firewall section "ZONE" tab use the ADD button to specify which Ip's or range of ip's are local, it would also be a good idea to specify which NIC is local on a multi-homed machine.
    To do that, go to Security >> Advance button and select the "local zone contents" tab then click Add and specify which ip or range of ip are local also specify local interface on multi-homed machine.

3. 24giovanni

24giovanni Banned Thread Starter

Bob, I am using ZA free edition . I don't see "ZONE" tab or Security >> Advance button. Where would they be located?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice