Network Issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kevb8ll

I have a couple of problems.

I've created a network using a WAP. I have a wired router connected to the internet which my pc is connected via RJ45 cable.

I've established a connection for my wifes laptop - via wireless/wap to the router. All that works fine.

My problems:

1. My wife can only access the web if the PC is on - can I set it up so that doesn't have to happen?

2. I can't get her laptop to access the printer (I know I need the pc on for that!!) - I've loaded the drivers on the laptop and searched for the printer it won't connect to it.

3. I want to have a shared folder on my desktop on the pc so we can swop files via the wireless network.

Thanks for your help.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm confused. If your wife is connecting directly to the router wirelessly, and the router is connected directly to the broadband modem, there should be no dependence on your machine. Please tell us exactly the make/model of the modem, router, and exactly what is wired to what.

kevb8ll

Netgear 834G router (wired)
Netgear ME102 WAP

When I first setup - the laptop connected straight to the web as you said without the pc being on. All was fine.

I tried to create a link via the pc for the printer so my wife could print. Since then - she now has to turn on the pc for internet connection.

I've just thought - I did create a password for the WAP so others locally can't access it - would that cause it.

As I said above, there are 3 issues I want to resolve.

kevb8ll

Ok I've made some progress.

I can now access a shared folder between the two computers and can now print on my wifes laptop via the wireless network.

I can't get my head around why the Pc has to be on - is it related to the password as described above?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online