1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Key Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sgitlin, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgitlin

sgitlin Thread Starter

I have a WRT54G router wired to my desktop PC (cable --> modem --> Router --> PC). I also have a laptop that used to connect wireless to the router. I just had to do a complete system recovery of the laptop back to its 'out-of-box' condition. The laptop now sees my network, but wants a network key entered before it will connect to the network. Unfortunately I don't remember it. From my desktop computer (which is not the original desktop PC that I had when first installing the router), I tried getting to the router access point with 198.162.1.1, but that again asked me for a user name and password. Tried 'blank' and 'admin', but that didn't work.

So, I guess that I will need to do a physical reset of the router settings via the button at the back of the router. I have 2 questions re this. First, will resetting the router have any negative effect on my wired desktop PC broadband connection, and second, will I need to do anything with the laptop once the router has been reset.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stew

Huntington Beach, CA

2. JohnnyP

JohnnyP

The only reason your desktop would have a problem is if you have DSL and you setup your modem in bridged mode, you would have to reconfigure PPP. Your laptop should start connecting to the network linksys as that is the default name. You should configure security on the wireless again though to keep out unwanted guest.

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Try admin and password [not blank]

resettings impact depends on if you documented your wan settings.

4. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth

I have the same router, if you reset and all you actually configured was the Key you will probably not have to reset anything. The only way to really find out is to actually do it. If you remember the passphrase that you used I believe theirs a website that give the codes out.

But if you reset remember to write down the key somewhere and put it somewhere only you can find it.

Linksys' default login is Blank Username and Admin for password

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!