Network Lease

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sharkus

Recently my computer started disconnecting whenever the "Lease Expires" time is reached, i.e

Lease Obtained: Tuesday, 8 September 2009 5:20:59 p.m.
Lease Expires: Tuesday, 8 September 2009 5:25:59 p.m.

and when it reaches 5:25:59 p.m. my computer will disconnect from the internet for a fraction of a second. Now i realise that this process is entirely normal etc, but this has only just started occuring, and from looking at friends networks they all have lease times of an hour, or a day.
If anyone knows how to change the lease time, or something so it gets renewed before it expires I would appreciate it greatly.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
The DHCP lease time is determined by the your router or modem. You should be able to change it in the setup menus.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, there is something wrong there, since I've never seen or heard of a router that allows a lease time of five minutes. Also, if things are working normally, a lease is automatically renewed at 50% of the lease period, there should never be a disconnect for an active connection.

I'd start the debugging by resetting the router to factory defaults and reconfiguring for your environment.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online