1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Network Link to Printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rhclerk, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhclerk

rhclerk Thread Starter

My printer is on the network. It's taking several minutes to print documents, doesn't matter the program or kind of document. Changing network cables didn't help. I can get on to network files and work in programs fine. Plugged my network cable into different computer and that computer printed fine. Seems problem is between my computer and printer. Any ideas? Thanks -

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    To confirm, the printer is connected to the network via Ethernet?

3. rhclerk

rhclerk Thread Starter

Yes it is

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    upload_2018-11-19_15-58-7.png

If you don't have this set to printing immediately, try changing it.

This is under Printer Properties > Advanced.

5. rhclerk

rhclerk Thread Starter

It's set to Start printing immediately

upload_2018-11-19_16-2-29.png

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    How about switching to print after spooling. Then check the print queue and see how quickly it spools.

7. rhclerk

rhclerk Thread Starter

I made that change and it didn't seem to make a difference. 7 minutes to print that document. I wonder if I should uninstall and reinstall printer?

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    do you know the IP address of the printer? If so do this in Command Prompt, ping the IP address of the printer: ping <ip address of printer> -n 100 and then let me know what the results of the times are (min, max, avg) and if there is any packet loss.

Is the computer wireless or Ethernet also?

9. rhclerk

rhclerk Thread Starter

I took the IP address from the printer and put it in the command as above. Message reads "The system cannot find the file specified."

But I can put that IP address on the web line and pull up the printer there, so I'm sure it's the right IP

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Omit the '<' and '>' characters and try the command again. The purpose of the ping command is to see how fast the printer responds over networking by sending a test network packet. All network equiptment will respond to this network packet.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I should have given an example :) so the ping command should be ping 192.168.0.5 -n 100 (change 192.168.0.5 to the IP of the printer) and that should work. Also if it shows a packet loss of more than say 5 let me know that too.

Is your computer also going Ethernet or is it wireless?

12. rhclerk

rhclerk Thread Starter

Good morning. The printer is on the Ethernet. I sent the ping command and received "Reply from (IP): bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64"
    and then the Ping stats were:
    upload_2018-11-20_7-56-34.png

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, so the time and no packet loss does show there is no connectivity issue. Does anyone have the same issue?

I would suggest to uninstall the driver and download the newest one here:
    https://www.support.xerox.com/suppo.../downloads/enus.html?operatingSystem=win10x64

Since the machine is a multi-function printer, I suspect that this machine is under a contract? Check the machine for a Xerox label or any label with a phone number as they may be able to provide more information.

14. rhclerk

rhclerk Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. No one else is having problems with the printer. I'll reinstall the driver and hope that it helps, then contact Xerox if it doesn't. Thanks again - Happy Thanksgiving.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have Restarted your computer since this problem began, right? Sometimes that's all it takes to fix "dumb" problems like this.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice