1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Login

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blcArmadillo, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blcArmadillo

blcArmadillo Thread Starter

What is it called when you have a server and client computers networked together with a domain and the ability to login from any of the client computers and have your files. Also, since I believe you have to do some configuring on the server to get this to work, does anyone have some links to good tutorials on the subject (preferably ones using windows server 2003). Thanks for any help.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. kimsland

kimsland

I hope blcArmadillo is young and enthusiastic.

A domain Server with remote login on multiple users took me 2 Years to work out, and one week to actually install it on 4 PC's 1 Server and 1 Network Printer

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

In your case a formal education or class probably would have helped you out alot. It is not that difficult. When I was in school, one of the very last classes I took we had to install Windows 2000 Server as a Domain controller. This was when 2000 server had just come out. Took us one class period to do it. It it really not that difficult. I think it was harder for me to setup Linux to act as a Domain controller with Samba.

5. blcArmadillo

blcArmadillo Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the reply. I worked on getting things going a bit yesterday evening. I got the domain controller and active directory all setup and started working on the domain policies. I've found the built in help utility Microsoft provides helps a ton. In response to kimsland's comment "I hope blcArmadillo is young and enthusiastic." Don't worry I'm still in high school and love this kind of stuff so I don't mind staying up till two or three in the morning getting stuff to work.

6. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

2 years to configure a domain? Wow if you charged by the hour you would be rich!!!

7. kimsland

kimsland

OK I didn't spend the entire 2 yrs just on Server 2003

But although I do have a lot of schooling in MCE (it was easier !! than MCSE) and more (all up 11 years of schooling (I should just done a degree - too many certificates) And minimum 20 years on computers (including 1000's of late nights)
    It did take a long time (not just to install it - 30 mins) but to make it work with remote everything and Server everything.

If it's any consolation, re-image takes about an hour !

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice