1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Neighborhood is empty

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mbourque, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mbourque

Mbourque Thread Starter

I have two computer running WIN98---MINE which is hooked to a cable modem and Linksys wireless router and the KIDS computer which hits the wireless network via a Linksys wireless PCI Card. I am having trouble with the KIDS computer accessing MY computer via the network. The internet is working fine in the KIDS room, but their Network Neighborhood is empty--only one icon "entire network" shows up. Everything in MY computer works fine: internet okay; my Network Neighborhood shows "Entire network", "Mom" and "Kids" and I am able to access files on their computer via the network. I have gone through the network troublshooter in WINHELP and checked all the settings of the two computers to be sure they match (which they do), but still I cannot access the network from their room.

I just discovered this problem two days ago and have tried to no avail to fix it since then, before posting this I searched this forum for possible useful information before having to bother anyone and found a somewhat similar problem and one of the the responders referred to allowing "trusted sites" which rang a bell (ding, ding, can you hear it?) I recently had a problem with spyware on the KIDS computer that you guys helped me fix and "trusted sites" came up there as well. Here's a link to my original post: http://forums.techguy.org/t326390.html

I'm wondering if maybe something we did then is causing this now?

I did contact Linksys about this problem and was told that it was an operating system problem with my settings and "although the solution was quite simple they are not at liberty to tell me how to fix it because its an operating system setting and not a Linksys setting" -- go figure!

If anyone has any ideas please help me because I'm going to go nuts trying to figure this out. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since the Internet is working on both computers, and you can access their files, I will assume that the IP addressing and Workgroup names are ok.

It is possible for the networking files to have gotten corrupted. Seen this on more than one computer. If you have the source files for Win98 and the network card you can uninstall the networking, reboot, then reinstall. This will overwrite them with the original files. Sometimes this helps solve the problem.

3. Mbourque

Mbourque Thread Starter

Not this time, however :-( Installation process for this hardware requires that you install the software before the hardware, so I uninstalled software, took case apart, removed hardware, installed software then installed hardware, hooked it all up and I still have the same problem. Internet ok, MY computer (main one) can see and acess files from this (KIDS) computer but not visa versa....

4. Mbourque

Mbourque Thread Starter

I am still diligently searching for a solution to this problem. I have checked and re-checked (repeatedly) that all my settings are the same.

I have a printer in my room that is "shared" so the KIDS can access it via the network and it is working from their room. I also did a FIND COMPUTER search for MOM (my computer) from their room and it lists it in the search results, but when i click on it it says "Network not accessible"

So, in a nutshell, internet from their room is working, shared printer working (so obviously the network IS working), it locates my computer when I search for it but won't let me access it and still Network Neighborhood shows only the "Entire Network" icon.

THIS IS GOING TO DRIVE ME NUTS!!!!

(Off to look some more......)

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I'm not sure "Not this time, however "

From the first to this last post, it sounds like things are getting better.

In the first one, the KIDS computer didn't see anything in the Network Neighborhood. Now they are able to see yours. And they can access your shared printer.

Did you enable file sharing on your computer and do you have any directories shared.

6. Mbourque

Mbourque Thread Starter

Sorry for the miscommunication above--Things did not get better. "Not this time however" was a response to your quote "Sometimes this helps solve the problem." All was the same, I was just recapping.

I am,howevery,writing this time to say that I have FIXED my problem!

The main problem was that the KIDS computer was not logging onto the network. The underlying reason for this is that it was set to "automatic login" and somewhere along the way, my password got omitted, so it was showing I was logged in but was actually only partially logged in because it had logged in by escaping the password. I edited the registry to eliminate automatic login and force all to login, and everything works as it should now.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your assistance!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you want automatic login, pick up Microsoft TweakUI or X-Setup and you can configure the network to automatically logon with username/password.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice