Network Neighborhood View

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobbi

I'm sure this is an easy answer, I'm just tired of trying to find it on my own.

In XP, Network Neighborhood when I view entire network it shows all my workstations with the name of the person and the computer name in parentheses.

Like this: FirstName LastName (Computer Name)

I like the way 2000 and NT did it with the computer name only and if I held my mouse over the icon, I'd get the name of the person.

It comes up in computer name order but having all the user's names listed it just distracting. Anyone know how to change this setting? I tired classic view but that didn't work.

Hi there!

Try clicking on the View Pull Down menu and selecting LIST and that should help you out!

Good luck!

ST

bobbi

Thanks, but I'd already tried that. It just puts them in columns but they still have the user names in front of the computer names.

The lists are in order by computer name but I just don't want to see the user names at all.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Go remove the descriptions from the machines that are showing up more data. :)

bobbi

Well, obviously that would work...but that's not really what I wanted.

In NT and in 2000 you had that information available, and when you allowed your mouse pointer to rest on that computer icon, you'd get the name information.

I want to keep that information because it's helpful. But most of the time, I'm looking for a machine by it's name and not by user name.

It seems to me there has to be a way to fix this. It has to be a setting somewhere lost in XP.

Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts