1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Neighbourhood - Win98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ciobair, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ciobair

ciobair Thread Starter

I have an old computer with an AMD K5 processor which works fine on Win98 ....but, I tried to attach it to an XP peer to peer network and, although a network card is correctly installed and the network is set up in the same way as another Pll with Win98 had been previously (and had logged on successfully), there is no "network neighbourhood" in Explorer (or any mention of it in Windows "Help"). Is there something missing from the Windows installation?
    Regards,
    Puzzled :confused:

2. 24giovanni

24giovanni Banned

You have to install the drivers for the network card on the machine in order for network neighborhood to appear on your machine.

Right click my computer, select properties, select device mrg tab, look for adapter. If you don't see one select other devices, double click ethernet controller, insert floppy disk with drivers, click on re-install driver, select search for better driver and select next. Make sure floppy disk drive is checked off and select next 2 times. You should then see the driver and NN on desktop

3. ciobair

ciobair Thread Starter

Hi
    I agree - should is the word. I have removed and reinstalled the network card several times. It appears as working correctly with no conflicts.... but still no NN.
    Ciobair

4. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

You don't have NN hidden in tweakui do you?? Control Panel>Tweakui>Desktop(tab)>check box next to Network Neighborhood>ok>ok..Reboot

5. ciobair

ciobair Thread Starter

Answer is - I have not done this consciously.
    Sorry to be a nuisance, but where and what is Tweakui?
    Regards,
    Ciobair

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice