1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network no longer works

Discussion in 'Networking' started by skillzilla07, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skillzilla07

skillzilla07 Thread Starter

Hi. For the past two months I have been running a wireless network via a Linksys router in my house. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 7200.

For the most part all has been fine. However, from time to time, even as I surfed the web I would find my connection was no longer working. Most of the time I'd just wait a minute or two and it'd restore itself. Sometimes I'd have to manually disconnect from the network and re-connect. It wasn't much more than an annoyance that happened about once a day.

As time went by, however, the disconnections would occur more frequently. Last week it got to the point where I was being booted offline multiple times per session. The router was never unplugged. Resetting it didn't correct the problem either.

I would begin having to restart my computer to reconnect to my network, but that began to fail as well. I finally deduced the problem lay with the network card. I tried to run the Windows "Repair" option, but all it did was freeze it up once disabling the card. Now I cannot connect to my network at all. I tried installing a new driver, but 40 minutes later it was still "installing". The icon at the taskbar often shows Windows "searching for network address" for minutes on end. Short of buying a new network card, any repair ideas?

2. Trixor

Trixor

sounds like your card got deepfried or something..

personally, i would see no repair option except for soldering on the card, but that's not something to do yourself if you don't know what to do..

my advice: get a new card.. they cost next to nothing nowadays. :)

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since this is a laptop, the first thing to do is reseat the card.

Remove the battery from the laptop, and then open the access panel on the bottom where the wireless card is located. Make sure the card is firmly seated in it's socket, then replace the cover and battery and test it again.

4. skillzilla07

skillzilla07 Thread Starter

Thanks guys, for your input. I'll let you know what happens.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/820421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice