1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Noob - Sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KaIIen, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

OK, so I am a total networking noob. The way my network is setup, which I assume is pretty much standard, is DSL-modem to WRT45G router to wired desktop PC, and then my Satellite notebook (integrated wireless). Internet works great on both systems, and I am using WEP security, so the router will only talk to this individual laptop. That being said, I am NOT sure how to set up file/print sharing. I've run the sharing setup wizard on both systems (PC = XP Home, Satellite = XP MCE), but can't see the other system. Both systems are running ZoneAlarm firewall. I didn't see any sharing type settings there...I did add the router address to the trusted zone. What am I missing? And please, guide me in noob-talk. :)
    Thank you
    -K

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Zone Alarm is certainly one, and maybe the only, problem. Putting the router's IP into the trusted zone allows communication with the router. Put the entire subnet into the trusted zone to allow other computer(s) on your LAN to access. For example, if your router's IP is 192.168.1.1 then put 192.168.1.0 through 192.168.1.255 into the trusted zone.

3. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Do I have to enter each number individually? Or is there a way to enter it like 0-255? It looks like it has to be entered each one manually.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice