1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network not talking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lareux, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lareux

Lareux Thread Starter

I am setting up a new network. I am not setting it up with Internet for now, because I am on AOL. I am pretty sure I have everything set up correctly, but I am getting an error message when I try to connect. The message is "NETWORK" is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator... The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available. I have checked the firewall on the computer I am trying to connect TO, but it is not turned on and will not turn on. I am working on that issue seperately.

Please let me know what other information you might need to help me fix this.

Thanks

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you give some more information. Things like what operating system, what service packs, what if any firewall software, what directories are being shared.

A common solution is to have the same user account and password on the computer you are trying to connect to that is being used on the computer you are trying to connect from.

3. Lareux

Lareux Thread Starter

Both Computers are running XP, and I think they both have SP2. I am trying to share 2 file folders that are on the hard drive of the main computer. Would the HJT Files from the computers help? or is there some other way to get a list of what the specs are? On the "Main" Computer I have AOL Security. There is a firewall, but I am having trouble turning it on. Every time I click to turn it on, it says it is on, and then when I open it again it is turned off again. The "Secondary" Computer is not sharing any files, and it is running Norton Internet Security 06 With personal Firewall turned on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice