1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network not working......not connecting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ihatewinME, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ihatewinME

ihatewinME Thread Starter

i have set both of the computers tcp/ip protocols correctly.

i have run ipconfig/all in dos and both computers have the correct ip numbers and subnet next to thier adapter.

the computers still do not ping eachother. (request timed out)

both computers have cleint for microsoft networks and both are in same workgroup with unique computer id

both computers card are correctly installed

drivers are correctly installed

i am using a crossover cable

i use no hubs or switches

i use 56k dialup

one computer is winME other is Win 98 hp ed

i use ip numbers 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2

subnet 255.255.255.0

do i need to set anything in WINS,DNS or gateway?????why isnt my network working?

2. tsfirebird

tsfirebird

I am almost positive because your using those PRIVATE IP addresses that you will need to configure the DNS settings. Can you goto the RUN command type in CMD and then type in at the c: prompt C:\ipconfig \all Tell me what you get with copy and paste and I will try to help you further. Do it on both machines too and maybe you will get a hint on whats going on. If they are the same the first thing i would do is disconnect Windows ME (which is a horror story with everything--worst OS since AmigaDOS) Try to connect the other machine and see what happens. Maybe one is bogging the other down with a wrong setting. :D Hope this helps.

-- Gary

3. tsfirebird

tsfirebird

Other idea is to even get a bootleg copy of Windows XP is 100 times better than running win98 or winME. If you call Microsoft Sales office they will mail you out a FREE 180 day trial copy of XP for you to test. I know its a pain in the butt to re-install but thats what won me over to upgrade from Windows2000 to XP. I love XP. Even cooler is the "new" Windows Server 2003 which will many XP programs where 2000 server a lot times would say wrong OS. Microsoft has come along way. Can't wait until Linux 10 comes out..supposed to be ready to compete with XP by Version 8 and it hasn't happened yet but its so dirt cheap free.

4. ihatewinME

i cant go to CMD in run on my windows ME machine. but i did iot dos way and found that on both machines the ethernet adapter settings are correct with both the correct submask.

the ips are 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2
    submask 255.255.255.0

i also put a gateway on the second computer (192.168.0.2)
    the gateway i put in is 192.168.0.1

i will try putting the 98 with 192.168.0.1 and the me 192.168.0.2

what should i configure my DNS to??

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

To ping by IP address, I am positive you do not need a DNS entry. :) In point of fact, since in your little network there is no DNS server, putting something in the DNS address would be a total waste of time, what would you point it at? :)

First off, try pinging localhost on each computer. If you can do that successfully, try pinging the local address of each computer on that computer. If that also works, try a different cable.

I've had a number of situations where the crossover cable didn't work properly, but putting a $15 hub in solved the problem. There are sometime electrical grounding issues that prevent a crossover cable from functioning properly. Another possibility is you have a bad NIC.

6. JohnWill

Please read the forum guidelines and do NOT suggest piracy in the forum. (n)

7. tsfirebird

tsfirebird

Actually bootleg copies of XP are bad because you can not update the security patches on Microsofts websight so it was good to point out that I was wrong. Try then the trail copy of Windows XP for 180 days...in some XP books.

Newbie blunders. ME bad! Didn't know that...I apologize.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I dont think we ever resolved that your IP configuration was correct in your first forum topic you started on this problem.

Do an ipconfig /all and output it to a text file.

ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt

This will create a file called ipconfig.txt

Post that information back here again for each machine. Also see if you can ping the localhost. ping 127.0.0.1

9. ihatewinME

ok here is the ipconfig/all on both computers

they are on an atatchment named ipconfig.txt

Attached Files:

10. ihatewinME

i can ping localhost

11. Squashman

Does anyone else find the mac address on the second computer to be kind of strange or is it just a coincidence. Take out the leading Zero in each Octet that has a zero.

12. JohnWill

Well, I do know that the manufacturer code for Realtek is 00-20-ED, so that makes the MAC address somewhat suspect. :) I'm not sure what your point about the zeros is. The original MAC is 19-02-16-08-00-02, doing what you suggest yields 19216802... WAIT! I get it, 192.168.0.2! That sure seem very odd, I think the Realtek drivers are somewhat suspect here! :D

13. ihatewinME

i didnt set the physical address......so when you talk about all this MAC address and stuff i am lost

14. ihatewinME

what exactly do you want me to do???

15. Squashman

Have you tried a different crossover cable or does someone have a hub you could try out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice