1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network notification on update of files

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kungfu, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

ok here it goes: whenever there some put a new file or image in the network i want to get notified that there is a new file or an image file put.
    mainly because our office work in network (usually we create one folder in the network called
    newsbin where we dump all the news and the images) so when there is a new file(file means usually word document) or an image(jpeg) i want to get notified that there is a new file on the bin

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can create a simple batch job that will test for the presence of any file in the folder and alert you. You can run this minimized on the taskbar. The "full path name" below would be a mapped drive and path to the folder in question. There is a 60 second delay between tests, you can change the delay to whatever suits you.

:START
    IF NOT EXIST <full path name>\*.* GOTO NOFILE
    sndrec32 /embedding /play /close c:\windows\media\ringin.wav
    :NOFILE
    REM - insert 60 second delay
    TYPE NUL | CHOICE.COM /N /CY /TY,60 >NUL
    GOTO START

3. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

in which file extension, pliz specify
    and one more thing if there is a software for such pliz give me the link or the name of the software

4. JohnWill

I don't understand the question. There is no software other than Windows involved in my solution.

5. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

and where to place this so called filenotify.bat

6. JohnWill

Wait, I have it! I have CHOICE.COM leftover from my W98 days, sorry. :eek: I've attached a small utility called SLEEP, replace the CHOICE line with:

SLEEP 10

That should do it.

Attached Files:

7. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

pliz if you can explain me in details about creating the bat file and placing in where??????
    i mean after creating where to put and how to run to get notify?
    well till upto filenotify.bat i have understood but after tat you gave the file sleep.zip and all got confused, so lets continued with the filenotify.bat
    so after creating where am i supposed to put the file and how to run it or where to run it?

8. johnpost

johnpost

from what i understand you wanting is to be notified when
    a file is added to a populated subdirectory. is that correct?

what John posted does something different.

9. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

yes exactly when some put a new file or an image on the network directory i want to get notify either thru popup message or sound, thank you very much

10. JohnWill

Are there already files in the folder? If so, is it possible to add the "new" files to a new folder?

If you can't do that, I'd suggest a utility like AutoIt and build yourself a script to do the task.

11. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

ok John i will try

12. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

hey i need help of someone to start the code i mean i can't start by myself pliz can anyone start the code forme pliz

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice