Network on Win98 machine and a XP machine

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HumperZ

Can I network my computers? One is running WIndows 98, and the other one is using WIndows XP. I have them both on a hub so they can use the internet, but i was wondering if i can network them. If I can how will I do it? Last time i tryed nothing happened so I just forgot about it. If you can help me it would be greatfull :)

Thanks for your time reading this, bye :)

If your computers are already connected to a hub, they are basically networked.

How are they sharing the internet?

Do they both have the same Workgroup name?

Presumably you are using static IP addresses?

Have you turned on File and Print sharing on both machines?

Answer these questions and we'll go from there.

You can follow the instructions from the following link I have just started to explain.

Previous Thread

HumperZ

How are they sharing the internet?
Ya they are both sharing the internet

Do they both have the same Workgroup name?
I think they do, i put WORKGROUP on both.

Presumably you are using static IP addresses?
I don't think i have static ip's, They both just find a ip then then it connects to the inter net.

Have you turned on File and Print sharing on both machines?
No they are not on.

Do I need static ip's? Does file and print sharing need to be on? I heard if they are on people can hack me :( Should I buy a router?

Thanks for your time, bye.

if your using a hub your networked.
peer to peer

if you want to share hard disks and printers etc, you need to install file and print sharing

also use netbeui protocol

what are you using for ISP

I believe XP has it own firewall protection

win 98 no, but your ISP should provide some type of protecti0n

hope this helps

Dlauk

Sorry to contradict you but Windows XP is not designed o use Netbui, which iswhy when you go to add another protocol, it is not listed.

In extreme cases where it IS needed, it must be installed manually from the CD.

This is Microsoft's decision to do away with the older protocols since NEARLY all networking sofware is based on TCP/IP.

A search of the Microsoft Knowledge Base will come up blank when you search for Netbui.

Sorry

HumperZ

I tryed to lan them, I did all the setup it asked me too, but the computers cant see each other. I will install the Netbui and see if that will work now. Thanks for your help and i'll keep you updated.

bye

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online