1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network only working one way?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by heemid, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heemid

heemid Thread Starter

I just set up my home network through a linksys wrt54g router, with two computers (office comp running XP Pro, living room comp running XP Home, both using the onboard NIC cards, I completely removed my software firewall, to be reinstalled when I get everything running), everything works great from the computer in my office I can read/write files to my other computer. On my other computer (Living Room) under My Network Places I can only see the shared files of that machine and under View Workgroup Computers it lists both machines (office and living room) I can double click and go on the living room computer fine, but when I click to go on my office machine I get this message:

//My_Office is not accessiable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrater of this server to find out if you have access permission.

Access Denied

then all can do is click OK

How do I set up permissions so this computer can access my office computer, thanks for the help

2. heemid

heemid Thread Starter

I also forgot to mention the internet works fine on both machines, i don't know if this helps

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Easiest fix is to run the "Set up a Home or Small OFfice Network" Wizard in My Network Places on both machines. That will sort out 90% of networking problems. If that does not fix it . . look at this for hints.

Hope this helps . . wrs

4. coulterp

coulterp

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Make sure you have an account on the machine that won't grant you access that matches the name/password of the machine you're connecting with.

6. heemid

heemid Thread Starter

So do I add an User Account to the Machine I am having trouble connecting to with the same name and password as the other computer? Also do I need to do anything with Manage My Network Passwords? Thanks for all the Help guys

7. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

On the XP Pro computer you add a user that matches the username and password used to log in to the XP home computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice