1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NETWORK (or computer) BLOWING NIC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robo, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robo

robo Thread Starter

I was called to troubleshoot a network problem. It is a simple two computer network, each with a nic and a crossover cable. The problem is, the nic card on one computer keeps frying and I cant see any problem. The computer that is messing up has had a new motherboard installed and it still does the same. They tried a new cable with a new nic and it blew it out. Is it possible that the other computer is sending something back that is blowing the card out? I guess I don't think so as the place with the problem installed a new card and it never even showed the network as working. When I installed a new card, the network was working until I changed a setting on the email settings and restarted the computer. When I restarted, the network was gone. I have no idea what is causing this and I haven't been able to get a tech from Gateway. I have tried and have not gotten a return call as of yet. If anyone has any ideas I can check out, Let me know.

Thanks a bunch

2. robo

robo Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot to say that both computers are running Win 98se.

3. Jeckler

Jeckler

Ok, try not to laugh too hard at this, but....
    I remember reading a story way back when regarding proper grounding. (It's very vague in my mind now, so I might not be explaining it quite right). It seems someone replaced a modem in their PC, and every time they touched it, it would shock them. It turns out the modem was not secured properly to the case, IOW, the screw holding it to the chassis was missing. It's sounds REALLY far fetched, but something similar may apply in this case (no pun in 10 did... wait, that's another joke). Either a bad ground somewhere (ON EITHER MACHINE), or bad wiring.
    Ya never know. At least it might give you a direction to take.

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK: This is gonna sound really loopy, but try running a ground wire from one case to the other, attached to a chassis screw.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is almost certainly a grounding issue, or even mis-wired outlets that are floating the chassis of one of the computers. Before you do any more tinkering, I'd insure that the outlets that both computers are connected to are wired correctly and properly grounded!

When I used to run serial equipment 100's of feet away from the controllers on Wall Street in NYC, we sometimes found 115V on our grounds! Needless to say, we saw smoke if we connected that serial cable! :D

5. robo

robo Thread Starter

A question:

I agree this is probably a grounding issue. The question is, with a back ups and a powerstrip surge protector, would that eliminate the wall outlet, or could the problem get through these two protective measures. I am unsure about this so if you can let me know, that could eliminate at least the wall outlet. Of course the problem could be with one of these protectors too.

Thanks

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, if the UPS isn't connected to both computers, it could be the cause of the problem! I found my audio had a loud hum in it if it wasn't connected to the UPS with the computer. The ground lead through the UPS has some isolation, necessary to provide surge protection, that could be a problem. FWIW, this isn't normally a problem with a hub or switch, since they provide floating differential inputs, but crossover cables are frequently a problem. This is why I always include a $15 hub, even with only two computers. It doesn't require special configuration cables, and it provides protection from issues like this. :)

I think if you pick up a cheap hub and use it, this problem will be history.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice