1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network password change

Discussion in 'Networking' started by deuce, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

I have been trying to change the password on one of the computers on my network and haven't been able to. Is it possible our do I need to re-setup the network on that computer?

2. ioniser

ioniser

Hi,

Which password? What Operating System? What Server?

I'd like to help, but your question is like....
    "How do I tune in a station on my car radio?"

Ionz

3. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Sorry... I was in a rush to leave and get somewhere so I overlooked it. I'm just luckly that it looks like all my spelling is ok and it is understandable and in English. (can't miss a party, now can I? Not even for computers... :D) Anyway, running Me on one, 98 on the rest. The password I want to change is the password for filesharing on just one individual computer. (it's on a 98, to access the HD on that computer) It isn't really a real ("true") server... but fills the purpose just fine. It is a three piece "server" that provides some networking... has a wireless DSL reciever, connected to the router that is connected to a hub that is connected to a thick wad of cat5 running to each room. Only 6 are in use right now.

BTW... if my question was how to tune a radio then my answer would be "turn the dial silly" [censored for the TSG community]... but I see what you were saying. Thanks for helping out.

4. ioniser

ioniser

Hi Mike,

I didn't mean that to sound sarcastic, but on rereading it, it did... sorry...

Do you have User Policies running? There's a setting in there to disable share-password changes...

If not, delete File and Print Sharing in Network Neighborhood settings and reboot, enable them again and set your share up again... if that fails, you've probably got a corrupted protocol stack and will need to remove all the entries in NN Properties and start from scratch again with the networking...

Just a thought.... have you run Scandisk on that drive? You may have a crosslinked file issue that's stopping you accessing the share info.....

Ionz

5. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

No don't worry I didn't take it sarcastically.

Not sure about the user policies but I think its no. (are you talking about muti-users?... in that case no) I'll try deleting now. Thought maybe I would have to start from scratch. Haven't run scandisk but the weekly virus scan just finished. I'll try scandisk too.

6. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Ok went at it not to long ago and got it taken care of. I just deleted file and print sharing and started over as you suggested on the one computer, but now it isn't asking for any password when I access it from a different computer. :confused: Oh well... the main thing was to get rid of the old password more then put a new one on. Thanks for your help... :)

7. ioniser

ioniser

Hi man,

If you want to paswword protect the share, open my computer, rright-click C: and select Sharing... then put a password in the Full and /or Read access area near the bottom, you'll be asked to confirm them when you click the OK button.

Glad to help :)

Ionz

8. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Yeah thats what I did shortly after I got that computer back on the network. I haven't done much with networking before so for the most part it is new to me. One question I have is how can you get network printers to display what printer it is instead of displaying printer, printer1, printer2, printer3, ect? Can't I rename them? After I install a printer on a computer I can, but it is hard to figure out which is which. Also, I am having problems with one printer. It is a deskjet 722c. The laserjets work fine, but when I try to print to the deskjet from a networked computer it says "unable to communicate with printer", but the computer that printer is connected to works fine during all this.

9. Rockn

Rockn

Might be a protocol thing with the deskjet....not all printers work over TCP/IP when sharing printers. Install NetBUEI and see if it clears up the printing problem. You need to change the share name on the PC the printer is connected to...that is the name everyone else sees over the network.

10. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Where do I change that name? From that computer's shared files folder on the network? I tried that. The name of the printers has always been correct (laserjet 6p, deskjet 722c, ect.) on the computer the respective printer is connected to, but over the network they show up as printer, printer1, ect. I tried changing the name in the shared folder before and that didn't work. I'll try that software now.

11. Rockn

Rockn

From the PC that the printer is directly attached to. Go to the printers folder and right click it and go to sharing...under the shared as name type in whatever name you want. Mine says CANON on my network.....could rename it to BAZOOKA or anything I wanted for a share name.

12. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Ok figured that out just a bit ago but now I am wondering why I still can't get this deskjet to work and what do I need to hook a printer up to the network without being connected to computer. The printer in question is an officejet all-in-one thing. It has a phone in and out for the fax and a parallel and that's it, but it sits 2 feet from a cat5 jack.

13. ioniser

ioniser

Hey Duece,

You'll need a Network Print-Sharer, such as the Netgear PS-110, check their web site...... you can connect 2 parallel printers to it, assign them IP addresses and attach it to the network via cat.5. everyone can print to them, and you don't have to connect them to a PC. Other brands at various prices, but I personally like the client software that comes with the Netgear... it's set up the custom ports for you, and search for the printers that you set up via an administrator install of the software.

Goo for It!

14. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Do you think it will solve the printer woes with the deskjet? I think I will need to look into it then... in fact I am going to do it right after I post this. I have a deskjet and an officejet I want to put on the network so I think I could hook them both up to that.

15. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

$99 at pricewatch... anyone seen anything cheaper? Just curious... 99 isn't bad. The 110 would work perfect. I agree with ya... I need to go for it. Best of all... can be used 24x7 since it doesn't need to be hooked up to a printer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice