1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Password

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crispy, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Having got my file sharing problems sorted out, here's another little problem that I'd like to clear up.

On my wife's machine, and more frequently with mine of late, we keep getting the 'Enter Network Password' panel when starting up. It accepts just hitting Enter with nothing else entered, but it's a pain if you don't want to sit over the machine while starting up. I'm sure there must be a simple way round this, but I can't find it. I'm using Win Me and MS networking.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
    Chris P

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download TweakUI from Microsoft, is has an option to log into the network automagically.

3. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks for that, I hadn't heard of it before. I poked around the Microsoft site and found a note which seemed to be advising against using TweakUI with Windows Me, but perhaps I was looking at the wrong version.

What really puzzles me is why it has suddenly started happening, it never used to come up at all
    :confused:

Chris P

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm going to guess you recently changed some parameters in networking, perhaps a new broadband modem or router? If you use MS Client, you need to respond to the login, but if you are using Windows Family Login, you don't if you've left it blank the first time.

If you want to get that behavior back, try going into the WINDOWS directory and deleting the .PWL file associated with your login name, and then reboot. When you are asked for a name/pw, enter the name and leave the PW blank. Respond to the next screen with OK, and it should stop asking.

5. Del

Del

Yup, If you go to Start > settings > control panel and double click network and the change the Primary Network login for this computer from Client For Microsoft Network to Windows login or Microsoft Family login you'll get rid of the Network login screen.

6. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks Del and johnwill, that did the trick.

I changed it to Windows Login for both machines and all now seems well. Do you know what other effects changing the login might have? I'm trying to get my head around the purpose of having different ones.

All the best,
    Chris

7. Del

Del

You don't need to have it log in with a network password.
    Window login works fine. If you install a network adapter it will add Client for ms networks and that becomes the primary network login, but you can change it back and it doesn't cause any problems.
    Glad your happy and have a great day.

8. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks Del, I'll just try to come up with some new problem now. I wish I'd found these forums a few years ago, they're g-r-r-r-e-a-t!
    :D
    All the best,
    Chris P

9. Del

Del

Just don't come up with any problems too too tough..

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice