Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

network path was not found

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Rockn 
#1 ·
My network contains 1 XP and 1 98SE pc, both machines are connected to a cable modem via a Netgear rp614 router. From the XP machine as administrator I executed the network wizard and created the floppy disk to update the 98 machine, these tasks completed successfully. Both machines share the same workgroup name and have file and print sharing turned on. From the XP machine the following error is generated when attempting to access a shared file on the 98 machine "name of 98 machine is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found" The 98 machine does not see the XP machine via network neighborhood.

#3 ·
I installed netbeui on the 98 pc ok, the directions for installing it on the XP machine refers to copying the netnbf.inf to systemroot/inf hidden directory, how do you locate this directory, exactly how is this accomplished? I copied the nbf.sys file to the system32\drivers directory per the instructions.

#5 ·
After installation of netbeui the following system error displays when starting the XP pc, "A duplicate name exists on the network", how can this be corrected? The xp and 98 machines are able to share files and printers now that netbeui is installed.

#6 ·
You have both computers named the same name. You need to change the name of one of them. For WXP, right click on My Computer, select Properties, Computer Name, Change, and change the name to something different than the W98 machine. Don't change the workgroup name, just the computer name.

#8 ·
I doubt the slow connection is the fault of NETBEUI, at least I've never observed that, and I've installed a ton of small workgroup networks. Normally, really slow network transfers are hardware issues, like bad wire/connections/NICs. If you're referring to the delay when you attempt to connect to other computers in the workgroup, this is a normal XP issue, don't know a 100% solution for it yet.

#10 ·
Are you also using TCP/IP on your network? I believe you will get the same error if you are using the same IP address on both PC's as well. If not you still have the workstations named the same, the WG name can be the same but not the name

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.