1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network/PC Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sadj2885, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadj2885

sadj2885 Thread Starter

One of our PCs on our domain is having a strange issue. The PC has no problems connecting to email, internet, network shares/printers, but when we try to connect, ping, remote, vnc, anything to that pc, we can not. Firewall is disabled, NIC is set to DHCP. I have tried using static ip, reinstalling the NIC, clearing network settings, ETC, but nothing has helped. I would rather not have to resort to reinstalling Windows over this issue. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks.

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

It could be something as simple as a dll that needs re-registering. Since we don't know which one that might be, we can use a free tool that has been developed for just such an occasion. Well, actually it's not specifically designed for your particular problem but for a large range of user problems.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Dial-a-fix.shtml

Get that and give it a try. If it doesn't help, it's chicken soup, no harm done.

If using it, open the program and click the green button, then Start button. Allow a few minutes for it to complete. When finished, reboot and check your problem. If it's still there, run DAF again and this time click on the hammer button. That will present you several individual areas to register. Run any you think relevant. Reboot for effect.

Did you try completely uninstalling and reinstalling items of the LAN connection listed in Start > Connect To > Show All Connections, then properties > highlight the items and select uninstall? If all else fails, run the Wizard again to create a new connection. If it works, delete the old.

3. sadj2885

sadj2885 Thread Starter

I will give it a shot on monday when i get back to work. thanks for the reply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!