Network Performance Bottlenecks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TWiGguy

I recently tuned several Win Xp's for a friend who complained of odd hiccups / hangs during use.

After regular issues were addressed (Virus bugs identified and killed, spybots killed, needless startup routines removed, unneeded services switched to manual, recovery limited, error reporting disabled, disk indexing halted, disk defragged, old files deleted, old apps Add/Removed ... etc) the machines were running great! Very speedy, no halts or pauses in weird places.

After returning his machines and re-connecting to his home office network, some halts returned. Problems are sporadic, and resolve suddenly without explanation. So, it must be a network configuration / use issue.

His network contains at least 5 or more active PC's, mix of Win XP and Win 7, and many printers. He shares all printers, and has network drives defined on the PC's pointing to a common drive on a dedicated PC used for backups / storage.

The only tip I can find from research is to disable Windows Web Crawling through unticking folder option “Automatically search for network folders and printers”, which I'll try.

Question #1 - Does this tip lead to a loss of useful functionality not mentioned on the websites suggesting it? For example, will new devices added to the network still be locatable?

Question #2 - Can anyone toss out general ideas for locating network bottlenecks? Such as:

What are useful analysis tools for measuring transfer rates across network segments?
What can tell me why a process is hanging at a particular point in time? (If an app hiccups,
and task manager does not report it as "not responding", what is it up to?

Any help in framing this problem in terms of general "start here", "do this", is greatly appreciated.

-- mark (twigguy)

DoubleHelix

Banned
If the computers had viruses and other malware, then that's the problem. Format, reinstall, and I can almost guarantee you won't see those problems any longer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online