1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network -Please help solve my problem!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mcfee03, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcfee03

mcfee03 Thread Starter

I really need help with this problem, I've tried so many things and posted numberous posts all over with out any luck. Maybe this has been because I keep trying to solve aspects of my problems (eg file sharing, then download probs etc) and not the problem as a whole. This network was working fine until shortly after I re installed XP on the wireless comp. I'm aware reinstalling XP again my fix this, but I'd rather avoid it. I'l try and explain this as straight forward as possible-

Set up:

Wired PC
    - Windows XP SP2
    - DI524 Wireless router with Motarola surf board modem connected
    - Can browse the wireless's shared folders without any problem
    - Can download without any problems what so ever
    - Speeds of 1Mb/s+ reached when downloading

And the problems being...

Wireless PC
    - Windows XP SP2
    - ASUS wl-167G WLAN usb adapter
    - Cannot browse the wireled PC's shared folders (see folders, but it freezes & disconnects from network when browsing/try to copy/edit etc) & permissions on all folders are set to allow it
    - Basicly cannot download (torrents, video streams) cause network to disconnect
    - Speeds of 150kb/s reached max when downloading (same download on PC 4-8x faster often)

*No encryption over network
    *Both using Windows firewall

Any more info I should mention just let me know

PLEASE help me out here, I urgently need to be using the network on the wireless PC for work. Any help would be very much appreciated!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Does that wireless machine work properly with a wired connection? That would be one test I'd try to narrow down the location of the issue.

3. mcfee03

mcfee03 Thread Starter

I have not tried it with a wired connection, and I don't have the equip to do so, but I'm pretty sure that it would work. I think my problem is to do with the USB WLAN adapter

4. JohnWill

The "equipment"? All you need is an Ethernet cable! It's an important test, because it enables us to narrow down the issue. You're assuming it's a wireless issue, but what if it's not?

FWIW, I'm not a fan of USB networking, my experience with it has been very poor.

5. mcfee03

mcfee03 Thread Starter

I don't have a spare Ethernet cable and the one that I've got is not long enough to reach. I'll go and buy one and see if it helps. Would it be a good idea to forget the cable and just go and buy the proper wireless PCI adapter that the router recommended? I'm using one the recommended same brand one of the router in a laptop without any problems

6. JohnWill

I assume the machine is not so large that it's impossible to move it close enough for an existing cable to do the test. :) We're just trying to eliminate possibilities here, not make a permanent connection. Of course, I always recommend wired connections if possible anyway. ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice