1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Printer (2 Routers)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by redfive, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfive

redfive Thread Starter

I'm trying to setup networking printing between two different routers.

I have a Linksys BEFSR81 on 192.168.1.1 and that's serving a WRT54G on 192.168.1.101.

I've set the WRT54G to serve my wireless network and a wired computer on the 192.168.3.100 range. It also has a NAS solution there.

On the 1.100 range there's two printers which are HP Color LaserJet 2600n (1.102) and a HP DeskJet 9800 plotter (1.100). They are both statically assigned to avoid any conflicts and DHCP problems.

The problem starts with any computer on the 3.100 range. They cannot print to the 9800 printer. Now this does not have a natively assigned network port. It's being served by a Iomega USB Print Server and that's available through the browser at the 1.100 address. I can ping the print server and it responds. I have to use a driver to set the printer up and when I'm connected to the 1.100 range I can print fine. The minute I switch to the wireless and disconnect the 1.100 range I can no longer print. I can still however ping the IP address.

I'm fairly technical but this is stumping me. Is it a setting somewhere that will let me print. My network *should* be setup correctly...

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

"The minute I switch to the wireless and disconnect the 1.100 range I can no longer print. I can still however ping the IP address."

This statement is confusing. What do you mean by "disconnect"? Like you have a pc on both subnets at the same time?

Can you ping from the .1.x network to the .3.x network?

You wouldn't have this issue if you had setup the WRT54G as a wireless switch not as a router. Everyone would be in the same subnet which is what your issue is about; not all being in the same subnet.

3. redfive

redfive Thread Starter

You are correct. I should have set this up as a switch. I did fix this problem myself. The whole issue revolved around the Iogear Print Server software. I bypassed that and just setup a Standard TCP/IP port and when I put in the IP address the computer said it didn't recognize it. Fine. I told it to just use Custom and then hit Okay and I was able to print.

What I meant by my statement 'disconnect' is my laptop I just pull the Ethernet cable out and turned on my wireless and then I'm on the .3.x network.

I'll put this over to a wireless switch next time the network goes crazy. Thanks for your post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice