1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Printer 98/xp

Discussion in 'Networking' started by topazbest, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

I was able to setup a network between one of my XP computers and my 98SE computer. I can view files/folders back and forth. Can't seem to get a printer setup though.....I have the printer physically attached to the XP PRO computer, trying to get the 98SE computer to be able and print to this computer. Is there a tutorial or step by step guide on how to set this up.....I tried a few ideas, but so far no luck...

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From the XP computer, you should be able to add in the Win98 drivers. This makes it a lot easier when connecting from the Win98 computer. The drivers will automatically be installed.

From the Win98 computer, add a network printer. Browse to the XP computer and select the shared printer. If the drivers were installed there, they will just be downloaded to the Win98 computer.

3. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Hey BOB, must be missing something.....still can't get it. Printer is HP 722C, works fine and is attached to the XP machine. The 98 machine, seems to be the hitch. I try to add the network printer and it asks for driver disk, when I put in the original install CD from HP it says you must run setup.exe ( all files must be compressed). I do this and then I try and install network printer again, and I then point it to the folder where the HP CD installed the files....keeps giving an error that YOU MUST RUN SETUP. Stops installation. I didn't know if I was supposed to install this CD AGAIN on the XP machine, I didn't want to install the CD on the XP machine because it works fine on that machine and also because I was afraid it would generate 98 drivers and overwrite the XP drivers that are working. WHAT AM I MISSING.....can you take me BABY steps at a time, here.....

RAY

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One way around this is to:

1. Temporarily connect the printer to the Win98 computer.
    2. Install the driver
    3. Move the printer back to the XP computer.
    4. Change the port on the Win98 computer to be the network share.

Since the driver is already installed, you shouldn't be prompted for it.

5. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Took printer cable and physicallyinstalled HP722C on 98 based computer. Tested through Port and printer ok. Disconnected, went back and connected to xp computer. THen went to 98 computer to ADD PRINTER option, selected NETWORK computer...keeps asking for .inf file, pointed to 98 hard drive where printer is installed and no .inf files exist. Any ideas....getting confused, etc.

RAY

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It is important to read the suggestions carefully. It wasn't to add a printer in after moving it back. It was to simply change the port.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice