Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Network Printer and print spooler service

5K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  bradly 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I have an XP Home box which prints exclusively to a network printer (Xerox). The port isn't an IP, but rather \\server\printer.

Here's the problem:
When I go to print anything (pdf, doc, notepad, etc), it takes a very long time for the printer properties dialog box to appear, and then the same amount of time to finally print. Note also that viewing the printer properties box directly takes the same amount of time (which is very slow -- a few minutes).

Now here's the catch: If I stop/start the printer spooler service, and then try print (or call up the properties dialog box), it is all back to normal -- opening and printing in a reasonable amount of time. HOWEVER, this only lasts a few minutes until it is back to being completely slow again.

The only resolution is to stop/start the print spooler service to get it working for a few minutes.

More info:
1. there are no other printers attached, but if I make the default printer the windows office document image writer, the properties box shows up immediately. Note however, I have LogMeIn, which has a printer driver, but killing the processes/services of logmein didn't help.

2. I've shutdown all unneeded programs and services (using process explorer) to rule out an interfering program or service --- still the same slow result.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Bradly

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.