1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network printer card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by roylee77, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roylee77

roylee77 Thread Starter

hi,

i am after some expert help. i am in an office with three laptops. They run via ethernet to a 5 port fast ethernet switch, and can access internet etc. I am not connected to a network, it is just a connection that goes into the 5 port switch (from the three laptops) and then from the switch, into the wall port.

What i want to know is, with the above in mind, can i connect a network printer card to my current printer in the office (Epson AL-C900 Advanced) and then be able to send documents to print from the three laptops.

The printer at the moment is using a USB connection that is solely plugged into one laptop and for other people to use, they have to disconnect it and plug into the laptop that wants to use it.

I want to be able for us all to use the printer.

bear in mind, i am not connected to a network

Could anyone tell me what i need (hardware if any) and also tell me what to do

Help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Lee

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You are connected to a network from the sounds of it. You should be able to share the printer on the laptop that it is connected to :confused:

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Three laptops connected to a switch. That's a network.

According to the specs on Epson's web site, this printer supports ethernet which means you should be able to connect it to the switch and use it, but you probably will need to do some configuration on these other three laptops that aren't "networked". At the least, I would think you'll need to put them in a work group. Read the manual for the printer for some details on how it needs to be configured for a network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice