1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Printer has wrong IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BTH, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BTH

BTH Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Brother HL-4570CDW Printer that has been working fine until a couple of days ago. A Laptop was added to the network but from a different wireless address. Would that confuse the printer? As of now the printer is reading from the wrong IP address. Any suggestions or a good way to change IP address back to the proper within the printer?

Thanks

Adam

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

How is the printer being assigned an IP address in the first place? Moreover, how is the laptop being assigned one?

3. BTH

BTH Thread Starter

The printer has been running on an ethernet network. Last Friday a laptop was introduced to the network and before it was hooked up via ethernet it was connected to a wireless group that wasn't ours. Would that change the communication for the printer? Everything was working fine until the laptop came into play. Does that help?

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Okay, but how are the IP addresses assigned on the network?

5. BTH

BTH Thread Starter

Since the printer stopped working, I have tried to manually enter our IP on the printer screen. It keeps falling back to an incorrect address. The laptop and every computer are all wiredLAN. If I am not being clear, send me an example and can respond. Thanks for your patience.

6. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    Couple of questions:
    Is the laptop the only one having issues printing to the networked printer?
    Have you tried flushing the DNS yet?
    Can you ping the actual IP of the printer from the laptop when it is connected using Ethernet?

7. BTH

BTH Thread Starter

the Brother is not recognized on any of the computers. It was pinged but it still did not respond in a search for adding new device/printer. I have not flushed or reset anything yet. It is the only port on the netgear that has not flashed or responded.

8. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    Have you checked the port lights on the netgear and the printer? Maybe the Ethernet cord got unplugged by accident since it you cannot ping it and no other devices on the network can communicate with it either

9. BTH

BTH Thread Starter

Yeah, I've switched ports, moved it to a known working port and changed the cat5. no luck. it was suggested that the printer may have just died.

10. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    Before I would replace the printer, I would try a different Ethernet cord if possible. It could be an issue with that.

11. BTH

BTH Thread Starter

Changed it already. I am going to try a direct connect through usb. we'll see if it at least responds to that.

12. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    If it does, try installing it directly on one computer. I have done that here at work a few times using my test computer.

13. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    My printer changes addresses every time the electric has the slightest hiccup. Unfortunately I can't assign the printer a permanent address.
    The printer doesn't have the wrong address. The computers that print to it, have the old address for the printer.

I have to open the router page and look at the DHCP Client Table to see where the printer was assigned by the network server attached to the router.

Then I go into each computer (6 that can print to it) and change the address in the computer.
    My printer uses any address from 192.168.1.101 through 192.168.1.106. We have 8 computers and an android tablet in the house.

14. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    If the printer appears in the DHCP server, assign the IP through there. This way, whenever it puts a request for an IP the DHCP server will always give it the same one.

jvic likes this.
  15. jvic

jvic

First Name:
    John
    This worked for me

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice