1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network printer hostname visible in workgroup, but can't ping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LoadMan, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LoadMan

LoadMan Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've got a mind bender to start the holiday season :cool:.

MAIN PROBLEM:

I have a wireless network printer (Brother MFC-7840W) for which the XP SP3 machine on my network can't resolve the IP address, despite being able to see it under My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Workgroup. Which is to say, I can see the printer's hostname in the Workgroup window in XP, but when I ping the hostname from the command line, I get:

Ping request could not find host BRW78E40037EE3B. Please check the name and try again.

BRW78E40037EE3B is the hostname of the printer from the Workgroup window. If I just ping the printer's IP address, I get a response.

I can ping the hostname or explore the shared folders of all other hosts in the workgroup, including another laptop running Vista SP2 and a network attached backup drive. Likewise, the laptop can open the shared folders of the XP SP3 and backup drive just fine but, unline the XP machine, it CAN ping the printer by hostname.

Is there any way to get my XP machine to resolve the wireless printer's IP address? This is causing trouble with the printer's controller software and driver, and I would like to avoid using static IP addresses.

MORE DETAILS:

My home network looks like this: Cable Modem > Belkin F5D8235-4 N+ Router > Netgear WGT624v2 Router

I'm using the Netgear as a wireless b/g access point, on which I've disabled the firewall and DHCP and have set up so that it's just an extension of the Belkin's subnet (192.168.2.XXX). I also set the Netgear as a DMZ. The Belkin runs on wireless n, exclusively.

- The network drive is an WD MyBookLive, wired directly into the Belkin
    - The laptop is a ThinkPad T60p running Vista, connected wirelessly to the Belkin
    - My XP SP3 machine is connected wirelessly to the Netgear router
    - The wireless network printer is also connecting to the Netgear router, since it can only work with wireless b/g.

Any ideas? :confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It may be because I don't know about a feature of that printer, but I find it strange that the name is in My Network Places. If you click on 'view workgroup computers' you get the printer along with the computers?

Or do you mean that the printer is shared on one of the computers? If so, based on my little testing a few years ago this will not work. You can share a network-connected printer, but you will not be able to use it from a remote computer. And, I assume, this could lead to confusion resulting in the symptoms you are getting.

3. LoadMan

LoadMan Thread Starter

Thanks for answering Terry,

Actually, like I mentioned in the post:

The wireless network printer is also connecting to the Netgear router, since it can only work with wireless b/g.

So the printer is NOT shared on one of the other computers: it's a network printer, but connects to the network wirelessly via the Netgear router I use as an access point.

You are correct: I see the printer on the network/workgroup like I would any other networked computer. I see it like that from both the XP machine (from which I can't ping the printer by name) and the Vista machine (where I can ping it by name).

Does this shed any light on what the problem could be?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It sheds no light for me. I always get nervous when I see long external names. If you have any control over the printer's name try something shorter--no more than 8 to 10 characters.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I only have experience with a few HP networked printers and all-in-ones. None of them even have a workgroup name setting. Of what value is that feature anyhow?

6. LoadMan

LoadMan Thread Starter

Here's the thing though: the Vista machine pings it by name no problem. And the XP's machine name isn't much shorter, yet it deals with it just fine. There seems to be a specific IP resolution issue between the XP machine and the printer alone.

What could Vista be doing that XP isn't in this regard?

7. LoadMan

LoadMan Thread Starter

There actually was no workgroup setting when I was setting up the printer... It just wound up in the "Workgroup" workgroup.

8. srhoades

srhoades

You could manually create an entry in the XP machine's hostfile.

9. LoadMan

LoadMan Thread Starter

I could, but the problem is that the printers IP address can change - I really need to get to the root of the problem, and that's figuring out how to make the XP machines DNS client determine the right IP address...

10. srhoades

srhoades

I'm looking over your network, just to confirm, you have the Belkin plugged into a LAN port and not the WAN port of the Netgear correct?

11. LoadMan

LoadMan Thread Starter

Thanks again for answering srhoades.

That's correct: Belkin is plugged into the LAN port of the Netgear, making it work as an access point with disabled DHCP and Firewall and I set it as a DMZ, so no traffic filtering. The setup seems to work, since the devices that are connected each end up with a sensible IP address, and they can communicate with each other and can connect to and browse the internet.

12. geek117

geek117

I would recommend downloading and running Brother's Network Connection Repair Tool. This will allow you to locate the printer on the network, and correct any printer port configuration errors with your wireless printer. Once you have done this, login to the printer's web interface and print off the network configuration page, so that you may obtain the MAC address. When you have the MAC address, login to your router (that which issues DHCP addresses), and assign a DHCP Reservation for the printer's MAC address within your subnet (obviously, you will want to pick an address that is not in use). This way whenever your printer loses power or for whatever reason loses its configuration information, it will always obtain the same address thus eliminating connection issues or incorrect port settings on your PCs.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.co...2170w_all&type2=2&os=7&flang=4&dlid=dlf004448

13. LoadMan

LoadMan Thread Starter

Thanks geek, I'll give it a try ASAP.

Meanwhile, here are the network settings for printer that I can change (note that I'm doing this from the Vista machine that can ping the printer by host name); anything here that might be improperly set? Note that the BOOT Method options are: AUTO, Static, RARP, BOOTP, DHCP. The WINS config options are AUTO or STATIC.

[​IMG]

14. geek117

geek117

Everything looks ok, but this is what you're going to want to do.....

-Add your DHCP reservation onto the Belkin Router
    -Reset the Brother printer to defaults, then change your Boot Method to "DHCP" to be specific.
    -Configure the DNS/Gateway on the Brother printer
    -Do a cold boot of the printer, check the IP address to make sure it's grabbing your reservation

Real quick.... why did you setup the Netgear as a DMZ?

15. LoadMan

LoadMan Thread Starter

geek, some questions:

- What do you mean by DHCP reservation? You mean binding an IP to a specific device? If that's the case, that's exactly what I would like avoiding... My goal is to get the DNS on the XP machine to figure out the IP address of the printer automatically
    - So you want me to configure the DNS/Gateway on the brother printer to the Belkin's IP?

I made that router a DMZ to make sure that it wasn't getting in the way of extending its sub-LAN to the rest of the network. Does that make any sense?

Will follow you instructions as soon as the ThinkPad finishes it's backup, since the Belkin will have to be restarted.

Many thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice