Network Printer Issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

passgofordough

We recently ordered a new printer for our small business network. It is EXACTLY like the old printer, same model and I verified it has the same firmware rev as the old one. Since the driver software was already installed on all our machines, no need to do that. There is a static IP for the printer which is 192.168.1.121 So this is basically a swap out to the same equipment, but the new printer will not recognize the proper IP address, it just reflects the factory default. I spoke to the Tech Support people at Brother (it is an HL 6050-DN laser) and they tried a bunch of things with me and we reset it a few times and they concluded the network card was bad, which seems a bit unlikely to me. I asked if the MAC address of the printer is an issue, since it is obviously different than the old one albeit the same printer spec. Maybe we need to update the MAC address on the server? router? or maybe this isn't an issue. Help is appreciated!

John R.

passgofordough

Thanks for the reply. I did perform a factory reset at least 3 times. From the utilities menu I printed a report after each change to see the IP address and it did change but not to the proper IP. It changed within its own submask of 169.254.xx.xx I also have turned the printer on and off several times and reset the network also to eliminate all scenarios.

etaf

Wayne
it may be if you are enforcing mac filtering on the router / network - but a fixed IP should be able to be set as that is not reliant on the router - so if you change the settings to a fixed IP and other settings - then they should be on the report you print out
if not then i suspect the issue with the printer

TerryNet

Terry
Fixed IP. Is MAC address a potential issue?
What do you mean by "fixed"? If you mean a static IP then you have to set that on the printer. If you mean telling the router's Dhcp server to reserve an (always assign the same) IP address then, yes, you would have to change that assignment to reflect the new printer's MAC Address.

However, when at factory default settings the printer should be getting some valid IP configuration from the router. Unless it is Wi-Fi and you are using MAC Address filtering or have the encryption key wrong, or unless the NIC is bad.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online