1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network printer not appearing on startup

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dan winters, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dan winters

dan winters Thread Starter

Hello there!
    Is there anyone who can help me with my IT problem. We have a small SBS2003 network ( approx 25 users) and although no one says that have done anything all of a sudden everyone has to reconnect their network printers at startup every time?
    The network is controlled using AD and both printers have the latest drivers and are connected using TCP/IP.
    thanks

2. draceplace

draceplace

The best success I've had for this is for netowork admin to log in and run the new printer wizard (when admin does it the printer will show up for who ever logs onto the machine).
    Back to the wizard...
    Select 'local printer attached to this computer' - Next
    Select ' Create a new port' - if using a print server - local port
    Then it will pop up a box and put in \\servername\shareprintername

If no printserver select TCP\IP port and go thru that wizard.

Without any description of how things are setup on you network it's hard to guess your solution....

3. dan winters

sorry no joy on this one, setting up the network printer is no problem. The problem arises when the users log off and back on again, the mapped printers just disappear. This appears to be the only setting that doesn't stick. Users can change desktop and icons and that setting stays after reboot.
    I think this could be something to do with policies, not too sure why.
    Any ideas anyone?

4. draceplace

draceplace

How are you setting up the 'network printers'? There are a million ways and apparently your set up is not working.

Without any description of how things are setup on you network it's hard to guess your solution....

5. dan winters

ok, the printers are installed locally by the IT admin on our primary server using tcp/ip ports and shared there. Everyone then connects to these printers via the share.
    does this help?
    and thanks for this.

6. draceplace

draceplace

Does IT install the printers on the personal pcs? You insinuate that 'everyone then connects' users are installing the printers to the pcs. If so I would try using 'local port' and the 'network admin' install.

I have fought this battle before and for some reason it works best this one way. I think your right in that it is policy related.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice