1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Printer not appearing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nitelite, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nitelite

nitelite Thread Starter

Hi i have a computer that is connected to my router that is running Windows XP. I enabled File and Printer sharing on that computer and connected my new Vista desktop to the same Workstation as the other computer. For some reason when i click Add A Printer on my Vista desktop and search for network printers, it doesn't show up. Anyone know how i can fix this? Thanks in advance

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm going to assume that you meant that you have two PCs, one with XP and the other Vista, both connected to the same router and able to access the internet through that router. Also you have a printer either connected to the router or to the XP PC. File and Printer sharing is enabled on the XP.

If those assumptions are correct then as a start you want to make sure the network is designated 'Private' on the Vista, and you may have to configure any 3rd party firewall.

If the printer is connected to the XP you will need to share it (and add the Vista driver if possible) and configure any 3rd party firewall for the desired access.

3. nitelite

nitelite Thread Starter

how do i make sure that the network is designed private? and also how do i get a Vista driver for a lexmark printer?

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

If by private,you mean prohibiting an outside user access to your local net,probably enabling encryption(wpa is preferred if your attached devices support it).This is generally done through your routers admin/wireless security page.

Regarding a Vista driver for your printer,have you tried the Lexmart www sight , search for your printer model,and then see if there is a Vista driver for it.

5. nitelite

nitelite Thread Starter

yea, i just found the driver but it cannot find my printer and so it won't install.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Look in the Network and Sharing Center to see/change the network's designation.

If the printer can be connected by USB, connect it to the Vista and install. That way the driver will be available for the connection you really want. If it's a network printer there should be installation instructions on the Lexmark site.

7. nitelite

nitelite Thread Starter

ok i installed the driver, now the only problem is getting the printer to show up when i search for it

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/731712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice