1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jared008, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jared008

Jared008 Thread Starter

I'm trying to install a Canon 2020i network printer on a small office
    network consisting of about 4 computers. I configured the IP address
    infromation to match the gatway, DNS servers, etc. as all of the other
    computers and gave it a static IP of 192.168.1.120, which is acceptible
    on this network. I turned the printer off and then turned it back on
    and tried to ping to that IP, but it was to no avail. I logged into
    the router and was still unable to see the device or address. I tried
    to configure it to use DHCP, and still nothing. My question is if
    anyone has set one of these multifuntion printers before, did I just
    miss a something in joining the printer to the network? On the
    network, all of the devices go to a standard ethernet switch, which is
    connected to a Linksys Wireless G router, privided internet via a Cable
    modem. I've tried plugging the Printer into the switch and into the
    router. I'm starting to feel cornered and am running out of ideas.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. onsite

onsite

YOU POSTED IN THE WRONG SECTION

Fist you have to share the printer, just like a folder
    then you have to capture the printer on all the work stations that wish to print to the printer

also giving the printer a static ip is a good idea, just make a reservation for it in your dhcp config, if you are using dhcp in arouter just give the printer an ip with the last octet of the ip, out of your scope of ip addresses.

3. Jared008

Jared008 Thread Starter

I don't see any documentation on how to share the printer though. It just has a few pages for network configuration-- to enter a name, ip address, DNS servers, Gateway, etc., then the host name and Domain name. Turn it off and turn it back on. And that's it. Windows should be able to grab it once it's in the domain (or in this case, the workgroup), but it's not.

Oh, and sorry for posting in the wrong section-- this is my first day here... If you guys want to move the link, then of course just be my guest. I'm still getting to know my way around here.

4. onsite

onsite

Assuming you have XP, go to control panel, then click printers and faxes, right click your printer, click share
    do you have xp home or prof ?

about not posting in the right forum
    don't let it happen again:)

oh also if you have xp prof you may want to turn off simple file sharing

5. Jared008

Jared008 Thread Starter

Some of the computers have XP, some have 2000. The printer is not available in printers and faxes. It and the computer won't communitcate. It's as if it's not plugged into the network at all.

6. onsite

onsite

OK, lets take this step by step
    1. we are going to be working at the PC the printer is connected to,,, or are you using a print server. If a print server , the model please.
    2. is the printer connected by usb or parallel ?
    3. if you go to printers and faxes in control panel do you see the printer ?
    4. if yes and you right click the printer and select properties, click print test page , will it print a test page ?
    5. what is the history of this printer ? did someone give it to you, is it from another part of the building, do you know if it works ?

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

Follow onsite's advice but let me add one thing about that family of Canon printers all the way up to 5000 ir series. You probably need to actually shut the main power switch off not just power it down from the front panel then leave it off for a minute or so to have it recognize the IP address on power up. I learned this from personal experience. Just powering down doesn't flush the memory.

8. Jared008

Jared008 Thread Starter

1. We are working from a PC on the same workgroup.
    2. Printer is connected via CAT 5 cable comming from a LAN card.
    3. No sign of it.
    4. No test page after installing printer and pointing it to the assigned IP address (which is not at all unexpected since the IP isn't listed in the router anyways.)
    5. The printer is new for the home office. Truth is, I don't know that it works... I'm going to plug it into a laptop via the USB cable today just to be sure of that.

9. Jared008

Jared008 Thread Starter

I didn't realize they could be so stubborn. I've only been restarting them-- giving them about 10 seconds...

10. onsite

onsite

So there is a cat5 cable going to the printer. You have gone to the printer control panel and configured the ip address ...etc
    where did the printer come from and do you know it works ?
    HP printer? right
    all hp printers have a way to print out their configs , do you have the manual, DL the manual if possible.
    hp also has network install software , maybe not needed for xp ???
    check hp's web site
    you can also with one workstation and a crosover cable connect to the printer

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Onsite please read before posting - this is a canon and its a network printer. Net work printers don't have to be shared by any PC they just need the right IP.

Here is how I would do it.

1)Run [email protected] and scan the network range from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 see what shows up there. 2) check the router (or DHCP server) and find out what its providing via DHCP. 3) Also make sure the 120 is NOT in the DHCP scope of the router/servers IP addresses. 4) Configure the printer to be outside the IP address range of the DHCP AND not conflicting with any IPs you see in [email protected]

You want to ensure the subnet mask and gateway and all the rest of the TCP/IP information on the printer is correct. It all should be the same as the other PC's around you with the exception of the LAST octet of the IP address.

For example
    If the router is 192.168.1.1 and it is giving out DHCP to 100 clients from 100 to 200 and the PC near it has IP - 192.168.1.110 Subent - 255.255.255.0 Gateway - 192.168.1.1 then the printer you want to be IP - 192.168.1.X (where X is not 1 or 100-200) Subnet - 255.255.255.0 Gateway - 192.168.1.1.

of course a reboot after it is all set helps to ensure proper workings :)

12. Jared008

Jared008 Thread Starter

Got it-- it just needed a HARD reboot. Unplugged for 2 minutes, and plugged it back in.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice