1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network printer problem..............

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cuttlefish, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    Everything is set up fine with the networked Canon IP4300 printer on the slave PC in terms of sharing but when I try to "add printer" from the host PC, it finds it OK but comes up with the message that:

"Windows cannot connect with the printer. The printer driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers" :eek: :eek:

I went to this MS site that includes the above message but am not rreally sure how to implement the fix - if it is there!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931719

How do I fix this one? :eek: :eek:

2. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

If I understand this correctly, you have system A (WinXP) that you are sharing a printer to system B (WinVista) -- right?

If I take that as true, the problem is with your print driver itself. First, check with the printer manufacturer for the most current XP driver for the machine you are sharing it from. Second, see if there's a Vista driver.

Without getting too deep into kernel mode printing...basically, Vista forces graphics/printing, etc... to run on an application level to ensure system stability. Older OS's would allow this.

Another way to test (if the machines are close...or the printer is easily moved) is to try and install the printer on the Vista system and see if it can automatically detect a driver for it. If so, then you will have the driver ready for the next time you tried connecting to the share.

Good luck (y)

3. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Ciberblade's idea of connecting the printer to the Vista PC first then re-connecting it to the XP machine to share it is the only way I could accomplish printer sharing on my Vista box ! As far as I know its the only way! You may also have to create a new port for it in the printer properties!

Example: \\your pc's name here\printer name here

4. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    Thanks Ciberblade ........................ I found that (duh) somehow the client PC with the problem printer on it had mysteriously installed two identical printers under "printers" i.e. two icons for the same printer. :confused: :confused:

Both had different names so when I simply deleted the one that I had selected to share, the other one then worked fine when I went to "add printer" from the Host PC Vista machine. :p :p

Why the "add printer wizard" chose the wrong one in the first place I am not sure - I thought it knew what it was doing! :eek: :eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice