1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GuntherPendr, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GuntherPendr

GuntherPendr Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have a Win98SE networked to a WinXP. XP goes to the internet via DSL.

Win98 can get on the net and receive/send mail.
    I cannot get the printer to work from Win98.

I go to Network Neighborhood on the Win98 computer and WinXP computer shows in the explorer box. I click in it (WinXP) and a box comes up saying;

NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD

WINXP is not accessible.
    No permission to access resources.

Any help please??

2. pinntech

pinntech

Hi,

This is an authentication problem. Your user name for your windows 98 system is not a valid user name on your Windows XP system. I.e. the user of the 98 system does not have an account on the XP system. Either that or you are bypassing the login screen to Microsoft Windows Network at startup.

Without looking it up, you might be able to turn on SIMPLE FILE SHARING in XP to resolve the issue also. Once again, without looking it up. I might be wrong here.

I am also assuming that you have the printer hooked up to the Win XP computer and SHARED. If you do not have it shared, share it and then try again.

Hope this helps a little.

Shane

3. GuntherPendr

Hi Shane,

I posted this on a different forum and they came up with SIMILAR TO YOUR REPLY "" Your user name for your windows 98 system is not a valid user name on your Windows XP system. I.e. the user of the 98 system does not have an account on the XP system.""

I looked in SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL>USER ACCOUNTS. I find the WIN98 account there.
    All files and printer is "Shared"

4. pinntech

pinntech

Is the user name and password the same on the 98 machine as on the windows XP machine?

5. teetdogs

teetdogs

Try enabling NetBios over tcp/ip on both the winxp and box. you shouldn't have to have an acount for the windows 98 box on the xp box if you do get prompted for a password use your administrator login. is this a true network printer or a printer installed locally on the xp machine that you are sharing on the network. if its a real network printer with its own ip and what not you should be able to map directly to it just create a tcp/ip port in your printer setitngs and then install the printer on that port. if its attached to the xp box and is shared just start the add printer wizard and and select browse for a printer and type in the networked name I.E. \\xpboxename\printername. oh but be sure to enable netbios over tcp/ip first, this really helps when networking 98 and xp boxes. or if your really desprate try running the microsoft broadband networking setup ( just do a search for it),this will set your network up for you just follow the prompts hope this helps.

6. GuntherPendr

At risk of looking like a dummy. How? :confused:

7. GuntherPendr

You guys have been great.
    Again; At risk of looking like a dummy. How?

8. GuntherPendr

The printer is attached to the XP box.

9. GuntherPendr

teetdogs,

Did this; if its attached to the xp box and is shared just start the add printer wizard and and select browse for a printer and type in the networked name I.E. \\xpboxename\printername.

How do I do this?? oh but be sure to enable netbios over tcp/ip first, this really helps when networking 98 and xp boxes.

10. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Can you access anything on the XP box? If not check and make sure that your firewall is either configured properly or turned off(off is better until everything works)

11. GuntherPendr

Hi Jack,

No firewall.

12. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

On the 98 machine, do you have "File and Printer sharing" and "Client for microsoft Networks" installed and enabled? Is Client for MS the default logon?
    Are you logging on, or just bypassing the login screen?

13. GuntherPendr

Yes, Client is default.
    Logged on correctly. I tried both.

For instance. If I login "JOHN"
    This is the correct login. I get the network up and can "SEE" the computers on the network in network neighborhood. If I log off without rebooting, it says no network path, but I still can get onto the internet and mail.
    Login JOHN and I SEE the computers in the network again.
    I am Sharing so much it would make a charity blush.

14. teetdogs

teetdogs

to share a printer you dont have to have an acount on the xp machine the only reason you would do this is if you were using the xp machine as a domain controller. to enable Netbios over TCP/IP right click on My Network Places and select properties then right click on your LAN connection and goto properties then click on TCP/IP and select the properties button. then go under the WINS tab and select enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. also make sure that file and print sharing is setup on the xp and the 98 machines.

then on the 98 machine goto start settings printers and select add printer when the wizard comes up select A network printer, or a printer attaced to another computer then the next screen should come up and give you 3 options. Browse for a printer, Connect to this printer, and Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network. You want the second one. now enter \\xpboxname\sharedprintername. and hit next

Hope that helps

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice