1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network printing problem. Workgroup to Domain?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Joides, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joides

Joides Thread Starter

Hi folks

Hope somebody can help me here.
    I'm in charge of our present network here at work, however i'm no geek (no offense), only just manage to somehow keep it running :eek:
    The network is setup with a Domain server (NT4) and all of the PC's that are in it are either XP Pro SP1 or SP2.
    My problem is actually allowing laptop PC's outside of the Domain (in say a Workgroup) to use printers inside of the Domain.
    PCs with the original version of WinXP Pro SP1 installed can be seen and also the printers by the Laptops.
    PCs with WinXP Pro SP2 installed can be seen but I am unable to see the printers. from the Laptops, WHY???
    Laptops are connecting via a wireless connection and are able to surf the internet.
    Hope this makes sense to someone and you are able to help me here.

Thanks inadvance

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The difference between XP SP1 and SP2 is that SP2 introduced a firewall. This happened to me too. Prehaps the XP's firewall (or 3rd party) could be blocking it. Disable those to test to see if you can connect.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Actually SP1 had a firewall as well. Not nearly as good as with SP2 and caused lots of problem with network sharing.

As a test, rather than relying on browsing, what happens if you enter in the printer manually.

Do you see any shared resources on the network?

Do the computers have the same Workgroup name as the Domain?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    umm... *looks away in shame* I knew that...

Bad start of the day... I'm sorry. I remember now that it's not visable like it is on SP2 (as in in the control panel). It's in the NIC properties of network connection.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

No sweat. Most of us turn it off anyway since it caused so many problems networking.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I hear that :D

7. Joides

Joides Thread Starter

Hi again folks and thanks for your time with this problem.

I've tried it with the firewall off and no success.

The laptop is in a workgroup called workgroup, the desktop PC is in a Domain with a different name.
    What I'm noticing, is all our old PC's seem to be OK, it is our new PCs that we are adding to our system that are the problem. The laptops are able to see the desktop PC's in the domain, it's the printers they can't see. Adding the name manually doesn't work either.
    If I look at the new desktop PC from the laptops in My Network Places, I am prompted to login (older PC's don't). After login I can see the printers, but after reboot, printers fail to connect again.
    I think i've set these new PC's up wrong somehow, but who knows. I think it is the same way as I always have done.

Once again thanks in advance.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What is the error message when you try and add the printers manually?

How are the printers connected to the network?

Do you have the same user accounts on the computers?

Do you have simple file sharing enabled or not on the computers (check both new and old)?

9. Joides

Joides Thread Starter

Hi Bob
    I'm guessing I have simple file sharing enabled (if that is the default).

The laptops are people personal PCs and they were able to print before I swapped out the old PCs with the new ones. As far as I know, the laptop PCs don't have any user account setup.

The printers are connected locally to the desktop PCs via individual USB hub (1 PC, 1 Printer and 1 USB Hub)

The error message I'm afraid I don't remember and I'm finished for the day now, so that will have to wait for now.

Thanks for your time with this one.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Make sure you have the same user accounts and passwords

Or be sure you have simple file sharing enabled. Check to find out. It may or may not be.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice