1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network problem (possibly DHCP)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tobb86, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tobb86

Tobb86 Thread Starter

Hello.

I have this problem with a computer i'm trying to fix for my dad. This computer is used at his job, and its exposed to _a lot_ of dust. (not sure if this has anything to do with it, but there's a possibility)(also, the cooling rib for what i believe is the graphic processor was badly installed, and fell off as i opened the cabinet. I have put it back on with heat-carrying paste, and i still have a normal image on the screen, so i think it works...)

A bit about the specs, as far as i can remember them:

2 GHz Intel Pentium IV
    512 MB RAM
    AOpen motherboard
    Sound, network and screen cards are on the motherboard
    Running Windows XP Home

So all and all, a decent computer. This computer did have some spyware when i started looking at it, but it should be taken care of, as i bought Norton Internet Security 2006 and ran a full scan (i did not get to upgrade the definitions, reason for that will follow).

Before i installed it, i had arranged it so that the wireless network and internet worked on the computer. When i got back the day after, to install the Norton package, i noticed a lot of spyware, and took care of it. The computer was acting really slow for its specs, but after cleaning up a bit it works better. Now here is the problem: After i installed Norton Internet Security, the internet & network stopped working! Here's what i know:

Both the connection for LAN and WLAN contains protocols for Netware and IPX (even the new WLAN card that i bought did). They have DHCP turned on, but still neither of them recieves any IP! The error message "This connection is limited" has shown at an annoying rate. (due to it not recieving any IP). I have tested my router, and it gives IP's to every computer but this one. I also tried to give the computer in question an assigned ip within the routers IP-range, to see if i could connect to anything. Then, the "connection is limited" error went away, and i could ping the router, i could ping the other computers in the network, i could even access them with nbtstat. So i opened my internet explorer and typed the router's ip adress in: Nothing. This page can not be shown. And also, when i typed "192.168.2.1" in the adress bar, and pressed enter, it changed to something like "http:///?%20192.168.2.1/". dunno if this is important

I also tried connecting the computer directly to the DSL modem and connected fine using PPPoE, (connection accepted, all that stuff), but still i could not access any web pages, i couldn't even ping them.

So that is my problem. Hope for some help!

Thx

2. Soundy

Soundy

Here's your first clue: "After i installed Norton Internet Security, the internet & network stopped working!"

I've never seen anything from Symantec that didn't cause problems of some kind, and I've seen Norton Internet Security kack a complete system more often than not - be thankful it's ONLY the internet connection that's not working.

First step: remove NIS and use the CD for a coaster, preferably for something very hot.

Next step: use some of the excellent free sofware available, such as Avast! Antivirus, and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Finally, find out if your dad really actually needs the Netware support, and if not, get rid of Netware and IPX; it's not "bad" per se, but it's a lot of extra gunk if it's not being used.

3. wacor

wacor Banned

I assume that you just purchased Norton and probably dont want to throw that money in the garbage quite yet?? Bound to be another solution here without having to take such a drastic measure. Norton may not be perfect but nothing is and I doubt Norton would be in business if their product was as bad as is being suggested here.

4. Soundy

Soundy

Why not? Microsoft is. Good marketing is everything.

5. wacor

wacor Banned

That would be true enough :)

6. happyrck

happyrck

I too had nothing but problems with Norton systemworks and after uninstalling and reinstalling about 6 times I finally uninstalled for good and I paid $69.00 for it BUT I would let it go for $25.00 if wacorsaut is interested

7. Soundy

Soundy

Sure - send me the disc and the $25.

On second thought, just send the $25; I'll let ya keep the disc :)

8. wacor

wacor Banned

I did not say i was a fan of Norton. I see lots of issues with it. In particular trying to remove it. I dont think any AV is cracked up to what it is supposed to be so i do the next best thing and use AVG free. Just an opinion like we all have here

9. Tobb86

Tobb86 Thread Starter

I do agree that Norton is a *****, i got spammed by the "Could not connect to email proxy" message and so on, but i already tried to uninstall it, and that did not work any better...

Also, free software is kinda out of the picture, as most of them are free only for personal use.

10. wacor

wacor Banned

Did you download Norton or buy it in a store. If you bought it in a store then take it back and tell them your problem and they should either help you fix it or take back the product.

not sure what you mean about not being able to use free software as this is for your father and even then if he used it at work how does anybody know what the computer is being used for anyway?

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you tried turning off NIS completely to see if it's blocking something?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is it not true that by default Norton Internet Security blocks all incoming and outgoing network traffic (except maybe Dhcp stuff)? If so, then immediately after an install you won't even be able to test whether you have good networking on that PC until you do some configuring of NIS.

Best approach may be to temporarily uninstall Norton while you are resolving the other problems and reading up on how to configure Norton.

Whenever PC World (magazine) has tested anti-spyware programs, NONE have removed all their test spyware. So, as was mentioned earlier, you should at least run some other programs, such as Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, SpyBot and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware Beta (which I think they have renamed to "Defender").

My advice is to backup all needed data, format the disk, install Windows, get all critical updates, install some anti-spyware programs, an anti-virus program (Norton is OK), a firewall if and only if outgoing protection is needed (the XP SP2 firewall gives sufficient incoming protection), and then reload the backed-up data.

13. Soundy

Soundy

One of the problems with NIS: it doesn't like to uninstall itself. Grab one of the removal tools from Symantec.

Most "free for personal use" software is just a stripped-down version of a commercial product. Avast Antivirus, for example, has Pro, Enterprise and Server packages, in addition to their Home version, which has both regular and "free" versions.

14. wacor

wacor Banned

just my opinion but if you are gonna go fishing in dirty water you can expect junk fish. so if you dont go trolling around the internet and are pretty careful where you go i dont think paying a premium for AV gets you anything worth the expense. just my opinion

15. Tobb86

Tobb86 Thread Starter

first off, the reason for not wanting to use free software i have already given. It's for _personal_ use, and this computer is used at a workplace. Which makes it illegal to use the AVG Free Edition, etc.

I have a theory:

Since the DHCP is blocked for both the LAN and the WLAN, which is two serperate cards, i would think that there is something blocking. Anyone know of any virus or spyware that does this? Also, the fact that after connecting directly to the DSL modem, and still not being able to even ping anything, that i don't get.

I have tried deactivating NIS, but it didn't help (it wont let you shut down the whole program)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!