1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Problem with Window 98 reinstall

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dianne55, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dianne55

Dianne55 Thread Starter

I have recently installed a larger hard drive on a computer at work that is running on a Windows 98 network with 2 other computers. I decided to start from scratch and load Windows and all the other software rather than copying my old hard drive to the new one as I have done sometimes in the past. Now I cannot get it to reconnect to the other two computers. When I go into Network Neighborhood it doesn't see any other computers. I wrote down all of the adapter and protocol infomation under Network in the control panel of the old Hard drive. I believe I have it set up exacly the same on the new one. (The person who originally set up the network set up 4 different adapters and a lot of different protocol which I was told is not really necessary. However all 3 computers are set up that way and have been working that way.)

There is nothing wrong with the connections because when I put the old hard drive back it in connects fine. Also on the new hard drive, it is hanging up on a file called vserv.vxd. All I have installed is Windows. It must have something to do with something I did when I was trying to set up the protocol etc.

Do you have any ideas what else I could check? Is there a file on the old hard drive that could be copied to make the network setup right?

2. Rockn

Rockn

What network client, and protocol are you using. One thing to look at is the identification tab in the networking aplet. Make sure the workgroup name is the same between all PC's on your network. You will also need to install file and printer sharing.

3. Dianne55

Dianne55 Thread Starter

I have already checked that the workgroup name is the same in all of the computers and I have installed file and printer sharing. How do I know which network client and protocol I am actually using when I have a long list of them installed?

4. Rockn

Rockn

Only install one of them! TCP/IP is a good choice, but you will have to configure an IP address and subnet mask for each PC. If you want the easiest, just have NetBUEI installed and you don't have to configure anything other than computer name and workgroup

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Have a look at this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q194990

The way windows works is that it will try them in the order they appear in the bind list.

netbui
    ipx/spx
    tcp/ip

It would try netbui first, ipx/spx second and tcp/ip last.

This might also clear up your problem with browsing the network, since this file is needed for windows networking in Win98.

6. Dianne55

Dianne55 Thread Starter

Thank, Brookes for the link to microsoft. I got rid of that error. I now can click on Network Neighborhood and click on Entire network and it shows "Workgroup" (which is the name of my workgroup) and then my own computer but not the others. I don't intend to change any of the protocol etc because I don't have the time to fool with it right now if something doesn't work. I believe I have the protocal etc set up exactly the same as it was on the old hard drive. Is there anything else , somewhere else, I might have forgotten to set up?

7. Dianne55

Dianne55 Thread Starter

I solved my own problem a few weeks ago. It turned out to be an interrupt problem. I went to Control Panel then device manager and checked under my adapters. It turned out that my NE2000 Compatible had a different IRQ than the one it had before. It needed to be 10. When I changed it, it started networking. Now I am having some other driver problems etc but I will post under the appropriate forum. Thanks for the help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice