1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mp4037, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mp4037

mp4037 Thread Starter

I have two adapters and one i am not able to get connected. When i try to connect it says connection failed. when I check ipconfig/all it shows cable disconnected. I would like to use this adapter to connect to my other computer. Is this ok to configure a home network in this way?

I used to have my network set-up with a speed stream router but i lost my connection a few weeks ago and could not resolve the issue so was looking for an alternative way to network my computers. One is 2000 and the other xp. The 2000 has the additional networking card. I was hoping to use this to connect to the Xp card....will this work?

One more thing to mention. I'm getting a hard-drive warning on startup of the 2000. I know i need to replace this...the sooner the better. My problem is this. The cd burner is on the xp and i've lost my network connection and I need to back up my data. Please Help!!

2. mp4037

mp4037 Thread Starter

Here is a screen shot of the properties....the 3com is the one i'n struggling with.....Matt

Attached Files:

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Is the network cable you are using to connect the two pc's together labled as a Crossover Cable?

4. mp4037

mp4037 Thread Starter

On the cable itself it says "5e patch cable" but I don't see anything refering to crossover.....is this what you were asking for? Do I have a crossover cable? What is a crossover cable? Is this the problem?

Matt

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need a crossover cable, and it'll be labeled as such. That is your problem.

6. BTex

BTex

7. mp4037

mp4037 Thread Starter

I hooked up a crossover cable, rebooted. I'm still getting a cable disconnected when i check the ipconfig. also the light on the card does not light up on the XP. Checked the device and it says it is working properly. Any Ideas?

Matt

8. BTex

BTex

you might check if it is disabled in bios???

9. mp4037

mp4037 Thread Starter

How do I do that?

10. JohnWill

Is this a commercial crossover cable, or one you made? Do you have a cable tester? If the LED isn't on, you don't have to go any farther, find out what's wrong with the connection.

11. mp4037

mp4037 Thread Starter

It is a commercial cable. I have checked the connections and they are OK. I don't have a tester.

Matt

12. JohnWill

If the cable is good, and the NIC says it's working properly in Device Manager for both ends, the lack of a connection light is broken hardware as a rule. Either the cable or the NIC on one end or the other...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice