1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jin29_neci, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jin29_neci

jin29_neci Thread Starter

my cousin told me that he has his office inside his house but he has a problem in his network. His using win98 in all workstations but the problem is this he has 15 workstations the remaining 10 couldnot access the network but you will see them in the network neighbrhood using the other 5 clients.and one more thing you can access their folders when you are using the remaining 5 clients but when you are about to use this 10 clients they couldnot access in the network. This network has a cable modem, & using a router, to and a DSL line, & we are asking ourselves this network can access in the internet but the real problem is that this 10 clients cant access the network but they can connect in the internet. Thank you and more and GOD bless you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 and more power!!!!!!!! (y)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What kind of server is he using? If he's using something like a Windows 2000 or XP-Pro machine as a server, there is a connection limit of 10 users. For XP-Home, the connection limit is 5 users. More details of the network are required...

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If they are all Win98 workstations then there shouldn't be a connection limit.

Occassionaly I have seen where the networking files get corrupted and need to be reinstalled.

1. Make sure you have the source files for Windows and your network card.
    2. Write down any necessary configuration information
    3. Delete the networking section (Client, Protocol and Adapter)
    4. Reboot
    5. Reinstall the networking

This will overwrite all the network files.

4. JohnWill

I agree, I just figured they might be using a 2K or XP box as a server. ;)

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Hopefully we will get more specific information. If they are using another computer as a server, it should have been mentioned in the first post if they want a good answer.

6. jin29_neci

jin29_neci Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,by The Way He Is Using Win Xp Pro As A Server He Told Me?
    Pls. Help What To Do With His Clients So He Can Access All The Network, And What To Do With The Limit Connection?

7. JohnWill

With XP-Pro, he should get 10 connections, though I'm not at all sure exactly how they count them, perhaps printers are included? :) In any case, the connection limit can only be overcome by using either the server version of Windows, or perhaps a Linux server. Another option is an inexpensive box like a Snap Server 1100 for the file sharing duties.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Connections are counted on a per computer basis. WindowsXP (like Windows2000 and NT 4 Workstation) will allow for 10 computers to connect.

Each computer can have multiple drive and printer connections. So it is not like there can be only 10 network connections period (5 computers with 2 connectiions each).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!