Network Problem!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

general_fail

Ok, after recently building a new computer and needing to get a router to have internet shared between the two I ran into a problem with my old computer(never noticed it before since I didn't need to share hard drives between 2 computers on a network).

Problem:
Cannot see itself in the network, does not have any network at all(like click on Network and Dial up connections), And if I do to "My Network Places" it sees only the new computer in Computers Near me, and entire network. If I go to run and type //name of computer it gives me this error "The Server service is not started." However everywhere I've looked tells me to go to "Network and Dial-up connections" to turn it on, etc.. or in the services which everything except, DNS, Messenger, auto updates are turned on. Also in Network and Dial-up connections, the only thing listed there is "Make new connection" however when clicking it, it thinks it's trying to set up a modem. TO make this even wierder of a problem, I'm writing this on the old computer, so I'm connected to the internet with it via my nic card, also I can still play games, ftp, etc between the two computer and also over the internet.

I've tried these methods into getting it to see the damn thing;
1>Removed the pci network card and turned on the internal nic on the motherboard, installed it's newest drivers from abit and it was still blank.
2>Bought a new nic card, still nothing.
3>Tried to edit the registry to see it, still nothing
4>Pulled out hair and screamed...

Program I ran for a firewall before I was behind a router with decent firmware
Black-Ice
And I've since uninstalled it shortly after the router was setup

Old comp specs;
Amd XP 3000
Abit AT7-Max2
2X512 kingston pc2700 non-registered/non-ecc
ATI Radeon 9800pro
Audigy plat 1
2X160gig WD 150 sata 7200rpm hd's(2Kpro was installed 130wks 5days 9hrs 25mins 30secs ago)
4X300gigWD IDE 7200rpm hd's all in JBOD(Um...storage x.x)
POS network card for $10, and the built in VIA Rhine II

New comp specs;
2X Amd Opteron 246'ers
Tyan Thunder K8WE(latest bios)
4X512 Kingston pc3200 registered/ecc
Onboard sound by nvidia(cause I can't find a ****ing soundcard that fits with pci-X slots)
Asus Radeon 850xt(until prices drop big time on the nvidia 7800 ultra's so I can SLI them ^^)
2X built in Nvidia gigabit ethernet cards
2X80gig WD sata 150 7200rpm hd's raid-0 (OS Windows 2k Pro)
And it has no problems seeing itself -.-
PS. This is mah new sexeh computer, so fast it hurts ^^

I'm not looking to wipe the old computer since it has things on it I can't find anymore(like video editing programs, and misc stuff), and since they are dug into the registry and will not run by just moving them over to the new computer, I'm screwed. The old system is still running fine, but this is the ONLY bug that it has, that is just pissing me off >.<

Here is a link to pics I took of the main spots of trouble

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I don't see Server in your list of services, so something is certainly amiss. :)

Try resetting the TCP/IP stack and WINSOCK to factory defaults and see if that helps.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

general_fail

Ok, that would be nice..... if I used XP

But, I said on both machines I run Windows 2000 Pro, and even listed the uptime on the old machine -.-

Soooooo hows aboot windows 2000 problem fixed?

And yes, I do notice server wasn't listed in the services, and on the new machine it is. How the hell do you get it back in there? >.<

Hmm... didn't realize there was a networking thread, well, the thing is, it's a windows 2000 issue, not just a network issue, which is why I posted it in windows 2000 >.>

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Have you tried uninstalling all of the stuff under networking, rebooting and rebuilding the network configuration?

general_fail

What is there to uninstall? the hardware is the ONLY thing windows see's anymore when it comes to network, and um, yes, I've tried that and it didn't work, also I bought a new network card thinking it would maybe fix it, but it didn't x.x

general_fail

*bump*

No clues?

I can't believe I'm like the ONLY person to every have this problem -.-

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It sounds like your installation is corrupted, I'd suggest a repair installation of 2K over your existing installation.

general_fail

Um.... that would be a nonononononononono, see, I have programs that I can't get anymore and I use them daily, mainly in the multimedia side, and well, I've been TRYING to find them again for my new computer since it can encode at an insane rate, dual cpu's and sata really shine it seems for that sort of stuff ._.

I mean yeah I could just stuff everything onto another HD and dual boot between the pata and sata for when I need the programs... but damnit, that's a lot of work over a service that should be there at all times, and no one knows how to install it back in x.x

Btw, I'm at work currently but I was wondering, I checked what is running that server which was svchost.exe -k netsvcs what would happen if I just ran that in like run?

general_fail

*bump*

So no clue how to get back services that somehow dissapeared without a trace? -.-

general_fail

Service pack 4, and I've got every update from microsoft already.

I'll try that program tonight, but just reading what it does, I'm not thinking it's going to help me at all, since the computer with the issues CAN connect to the internet and do EVERYTHING, except, network neighborhood, which it can't see itself, or, other computers see it, nor can it access itself via network, nor can it share files, or printers, like the pictures at the top of this page, it's blank, missing the "Server" service. So hopefully that program might fix it, BUT, I'm doubtful ._.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That's why I suggested the repair installation of Windows.

general_fail

Yeah, but if you do a repair of windows doesn't it just overwrite everything and then I lose all my programs correct? well they would still be on the hard drive, but everything in the registry would be el' deleto so the programs would look at me dumbly right? ._.

Cause 2 of the main programs I can't lose is divx related and for SOME reason the CD key they sent me is invalid now(no f-'in clue why, considering I bought the damn program) and to top it off since I changed my website to a .com to a .net they have my email as a .com and won't respond to my .net like asshats, even though it's the SAME email, just .net -.- Stupid? Yeah, that's what I said -.-

Oh yeah and since I'm on network topic here, anyone know of a decent router that sends faster than 1megabyte a sec(junky 10mbits routers)? The one I currently have is a netgear and it's freaking slow as a slug when it comes to transfering files, and since almost all of the files I'm FTP'ing back and forth are huge(for video compression) it takes a while -.-

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
A repair installation should NOT disturb your applications or settings. It doesn't remove the application settings from the registry.

The switch section of any SOHO router should handle 100mbit at full speed, I've never seen one that doesn't. Perhaps your issue is not the router. If you really think the router is the issue, a cheap hack is to put a switch in front of the router and connect all the machines to the switch, then one line to the router. That way the router only handles the broadband traffic, the local LAN traffic goes directly through the switch.

general_fail

I thought about that... but I'd rather cut the middle man(switch) out, I just can't believe I can't find crap on good routers(under $100) that actually DO higher data transfers ._.

And stumpy I tried the program... that was a no go ._.

Um, I looked up on what it does here here That REALLY looks like I'll loose all my installed programs, etc x.x!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online