1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kuchnahi, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kuchnahi

kuchnahi Thread Starter

Hi,

I am new on this form, i have my network problem.
    actually i connect my laptop through my computer with crossover cable.it was working fine later i install new operating system win xp professional ,i configure my network connection on pc then i plugged crossover cable from my pc to laptop. i also ICS configured.
    the problem accuring is that when i ping i get reply but i don't have access to internet. i don't understand where the problem is .i also tried to ping to pc from laptop but reply come that reqested time out.

if anyone can give me sloution of this problem.

Thanks in Advance

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    A request time out means that it could not find your computer. Check your IP configurations on both machines. From your post, one of your NIC cards should have an IP address of 192.168.0.1 with subnet of 255.255.255.0. Your laptop should be 192.168.0.x with subnet of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.0.1 and DNS of 192.168.0.1

To check for this infomration, do IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\IPCONFIG.TXT on both machines. I realise that you will not be able to get the laptop info up here but go to C:\ and open up IPCONFIG.TXT and copy and paste the entire infomation. For your laptop you will need to type it.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I hate this machien... i can't edit....

for the 192.168.0.x = x is a number between 2 and 254, usually its .2

4. kuchnahi

kuchnahi Thread Starter

Hi,
    actually i am very begineer in networking so i don't understand could u tell me where the problem is and what i need to do for it? as i mentioned before that i can ping itself but connection is not accessible. is problem with ip add or something else. could you tell me clearly plz what i need to do for to solve it?

Thanks in Advance

5. kuchnahi

kuchnahi Thread Starter

for my laptop subnet mask is 255.255.255.0,but for my computer from where o connected my laptop subnat mask is 255.255.252.0. are they both should be same or not? also when i connected laptop to my pc my laptop ip and SM configure autmatically but not DNS.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The subnet mask should be the same. I have always hated ICS because it seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

If you are using a broadband service for internet (as in DSL or Cable) then for the sake of sanity I would strongly recommend getting a router instead of using ICS.

Anyways, can you provide me with the full text of your IPCONFIG log? Like I said you can copy and paste the entire log from your computer's log, but you will need to manually type the other one from your laptop.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice