1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dioxip, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dioxip

dioxip Thread Starter

Hello!
    I have a problem with my local network in windows xp. When I go in to my workgroup (mshome) the only one i can see is my self. The others can see each other, and they are in the same workgroup as me. This problem started when i formated my computer and reinstalled windows xp profesional.
    Hope some one can help, this is realy enoying me now!

//dioxip

2. Drew7997

Drew7997

can they ping you?
    can you ping them?
    can you ping yourself? (127.0.0.1) aka loopback
    have you shutdown, removed the power cord from your computer, then plug back in and reboot?
    also the router does take a moment or two to add you to it's directory.

3. dioxip

dioxip Thread Starter

yes i can ping them and they can ping me. I use a switch not a router

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Can you ping them by computer name?

5. dioxip

dioxip Thread Starter

No we cant ping each other by computer name

6. dioxip

dioxip Thread Starter

but when i add nwlink IPX/SPX netbios on both computers i can see them and go on his computer but they cant connect to my computer. They popup an error it says they havent permision to connect to my computer.

7. Drew7997

Drew7997

are they running WIn XP? or Mac? IPX is for Apple.

8. dioxip

dioxip Thread Starter

I can add in in windows XP aswell

9. TheDude5555

TheDude5555

You should not need to install IPX, unless of course you are using a Novell server which I doubt. Most likely it is just a username\password issue. Make sure that the username you are using on your XP computer exists on the other computers with the exact same password. And dont use a blank passworsd as XP by default will not allow network access from accounts with blank passwords.

10. dioxip

dioxip Thread Starter

Hm, it sounds weird. I need to make a new user on the other computers. You mean a user i can logon and so on?

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think the problem is workgroup name as they need to be the same. If you have Pro then yours would be "workgroup" and home would be "mshome". Unless you changed yours then that is the problem and you need to right click "My Computer" choose computer name and change the workgroup names so that all match.

12. dioxip

dioxip Thread Starter

dont think. Im in a workgroup called "Arbejdsgruppe"

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

They have to be the same is my point in order to see each other. if they are then there is a firewall issue or no sharing allowed or the like.

14. dioxip

dioxip Thread Starter

There are in the same workgroup. But if i dont set netbios IPX/SPX on i cant even see my self

15. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Having re-read your issue (after being absent for a few days), I think the problem is a DNS issue, since you can ping to each other by IP address, but not by computer name.

Just to check, go into your Services listing (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services), and find the service "DNS Client". Make sure it is started (under the "Status" column) and set to start automatically (under the "Startup Type" column).

If this does work, you shouldn't need to continue running IPX/SPX on your computer. As was mentioned before, this is used primarily for Novell NetWare servers and clients.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice