1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Matthewhirst, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Matthewhirst

Matthewhirst Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I have a NETGEAR router, and something is starting to annoy me, when I used to download anything off the internet, in my firefox downloads tab, i used to be getting speeds up-to 600kb's but now I'm struggling to get 15kb's. My mum turns the router off on a night, because she knows i'l be playing on it all night :L the only time i can get back to 600kb's is when my service provider network goes down, so the phone lines go off. Then i can only have the download speeds until the router is turned off, then it's gone off again.

Help please?
    Thanks in advance. xx

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Ok.So I need to ask some questions:
    This is a DSL connection?
    f dsl,and the phone service goes down,you should have no internet presence at all
    Make and model of modem and router?
    With the router on and connected to the modem,you get the desired speed ?
    What happens if you plug directly into the modem?(requires a modem power on reset.
    Also,let's see a speed test when you think it is slow.
    like so:
    http://www.speedtest.net/

3. Matthewhirst

It's a netgear 54mbps ADSL2 router DG834G.
    when the network goes down, so does the telephone service, i then get 600kbs download speed untill i turn the router off, then it goes to 15kbs again.
    Download speed = 2.43mb/s
    upload 0.71mb/s
    Ping 53ms

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Who is your ISP ?

Download speed = 2.43mb/s
    upload 0.71mb/s
    Ping 53ms
    And these speeds are when ??

5. Matthewhirst

My internet is with Utility warehouse.
    Those speeds are now, but when i come to download a file in firefox, i get those speeds, i also get those speeds when i download like a trial setup inside a a torrent client ( i am not using torrents its just to download things from the internet, seen as i can't from inside my browser, but i still get the same speeds)

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK:About all I can tell you at his point is:
    I just did a Google search on your provider,Utility warehouse,and found a lot of folks complaining about your same issue.Most were were going back to BT.
    I would suggest calling your provider and see if they can render any assistance on this matter.They may be able to suggest some settings tweeks which may help you,but that seems to be a long shot based on comments from users.
    Sorry.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!