1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network problems after moving house

Discussion in 'Networking' started by laylak, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laylak

laylak Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

I have 2 computers both running windows xp home which are networked together using a cable which says CAT5E on it. Please forgive me as I am not network savvy at all but will try and explain as best I can.

The computers were running ok and could both access the internet and each others hard drives. We have recently moved house and I have just set up the computers as they were in the old house. The host computer which has the internet and everything seems to be ok. Nothing has any errors or is unlugged. When I plugged the CAT5E cable in the client computer it has an error message popping up in the system tray saying "Local Area Connection 2 a Network Cable is Unplugged" so when I go to Network Connections on the client computer it shows that the NIC card is unplugged and it has a red cross through it. But then when I go to Device Manager and look at the same NIC card in there it has no red cross through it and says it is working properly. Neither computer can see each other and the client computer cannot connect to the internet. What does this all mean? Will I need to open up the box or can this error be fixed another way? Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It appears to mean that either the cable is now bad, or one of the NIC's in the machines is bad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice