Network/rack cleanup

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Just finished a network cleanup today and wanted to share the before and after photos. The network will be much easier to expand now with 1-to-1 ports in 3 Unifi switches, 10 Gbps between them, 1 Gbps fiber Internet with DSL backup. I'm pretty excited about it. 🤓

FB_IMG_1592359534589.jpg

FB_IMG_1592359538792.jpg

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Here's one from last week. We also installed a new VoIP system while we were at it. :)

before.jpg

after.jpg

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Nope, that's another job. We're finishing it up on Sunday, so hopefully I'll have some before and after photos for that one soon! :)

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This is from my last "real" job, before:

1621455536174.png

And after:

1621455586719.png

I actually went in on a Saturday and did this. It just bugged the stew outta me ... ;-)

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I did that on purpose. It made it easier to trace the wires. I had my boss order certain colors, certain lengths, etc. so that I could do that. There's a pattern to it.

I always enjoyed doing that sort of thing. Whenever we'd add or remove a server in the server room, I'd want to be the one to wire it into the rack. I set up all the KVMs and wiring in all the racks when we expanded and wanted to try to keep some semblance of order in everything. It looked good and I got compliments on it from visitors. I was proud of that stuff! ;-)

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
I feel the same way! I always get excited to do these kind of jobs. It's nice to be able to see a real before and after of your work. Makes you feel like you actually did something. It's even better when you go back to try to fix something and everything is in order and labeled.

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Another fun job! 😆

We could barely close the rack when we first got there. I have no idea why the last guy thought it was a good idea to use so much patch cable...

We also installed two new Unifi switches. (You can't even see the old switches in the Before photo!) Everything is labeled and working now.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online