1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Reset disabled Ethernet & Wireless Adapter!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by StarWizard, Jul 29, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. StarWizard

StarWizard Thread Starter

Every Network Connection that used to appear on the Network Adapter Connection page vanished after doing a Network Reset and rebooting my computer. Subsequent reset attempts made no difference. The network icon appears on the lower right corner of my task bar, but their are no available networks to connect to. No adapter appears on the Change Adapter Setting page, nor in Device Manager. Its as if all the network adapters have been removed and their drivers deleted. This is the most perplexing problem I have ever encounters with my office computer. I have been troubleshooting it for almost two weeks. I have flushed the dns, reset the IPs and winsock, tested the ethernet cable which is connected directly to the router. All of the other computers and TVs in the house (five) which are directly connected via ethernet cables work fine, so it is definitely something with my office computer. This occurred right after Comcast sent two different crews out to test our cable lines to the trunk lines on the street because we complained about an intermittent service, dropping out 8-23 times a day.

They claimed the problem was on our end, which I didn't believe, so I replace all of the gear and experienced the same problem, which is why they finally came out. I told them that the problem is likely the connection hub at the bottom of our property, which they also didn't believe. Four days later, the discovered a rogue cable from another home in our connection hub, which they promptly removed. Whoever was tapping into our service had already disconnected it at their home, but buried the cable underground which meant 80% of our service was going to ground making our modem overheat and shut down to protect itself.

Anyway, my guess is that they surged our cable during the testing phase which took our my ethernet port which is hardwired to the MOBO. Unfortunately, I did a network reset in an attempt to get service again and that took out all of the network adapters and drivers. Your insights would be greatly appreciated for I have lots two weeks of work because of it. Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe it's just me being befuddled, but there seems to be a lot of irrelevant information there and some that may be conflicting. Anyhow, my understanding is that on one PC you now have no Network Adapters showing in Device Manager.

If that is correct do you have any Unknown or Other devices with error flags? If so, those may well be the network adapters--download and attempt to install the correct latest drivers.

cwwozniak likes this.
  3. StarWizard

Yes, the Network Adapter option disappeared in Device Mgr, but a yellow flagged Network Connection listing appeared in Other Devices, along with a flagged wireless connection and two more. There is very little information on any of the four flagged adapters, so it is difficult to tell which ones they are, but the first one is clearly a LAN adapter so I suspect it is the Ethernet port. uninstalling and reinstalling them makes no difference. If my memory serves me, I believe the first Ethernet adapter said Intel (R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection before the Network Adapter option vanished from the list. I searched all over the web looking for the drivers, but none of the ones I installed worked. Instead I get the same error message no matter what I try which is, "Found drivers but encountered an error while attempting to install them." The Bluetooth adapter was flagged too, but I was able to restore that one (BFCOMM Protocol TDI) with a driver update I found online.

BTW, I am clearing CMOS again and was curious what the three words on the CMOS three pin jumper mean which are Normal, Config, Recovery. I assume Normal is the one I should choose for the jumper, since I am not doing an fancy Configuration on it. Does Recovery represent another way to clear the CMOS? Also, Recovery is obtained by using no jumper. Should I plug the power cable in and turn on the computer to activate any of these choices?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have a brand name (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) computer you get the correct network driver from the manufacturer's web site--assuming an integrated adapter. Else from the motherboard manufacturer's web site.

Or, for an non-integrated adapter get the driver from the adapter manufacturer's web site.

Getting random drivers from "all over the web" is unlikely to help you.

5. StarWizard

Sorry about the delay, Terry, we had a little crisis on our end. At times like these, I wish I had a brand name computer because they usually have all the driver downloads you can imagine. Unfortunately, it's a custom built computer by a company called Rain Computers, which at the time built the best media computers available. I bought one of their most tricked out models called the Solstice. I believe they went out of business in 2016 and hence so did my support. As for getting the adapter manufacture's driver, that's the issue I am having, for I cannot find who made the adapter for the Intel 810 MOBO DP67BG with a Skylake Core i7, 38 Mhtz (overclocked) 32 GB Ram processor, or at least it used to be. One of the four sticks failed so I bought four more sets five different times from MicroCenter and no matter what brand I use, the computer won't boot with more than two sticks. Same thing with the hard drives, for it will only accept 2TB drives, which was never a problem because it has eight drive bays and can do a raid configuration. I wanted to keep the noise down by running a couple of 4TB drives but it won't allow that either. I think that's a bios issue that can be solved if I set it up in UEFI. I'm not sure it is worth trying to upgrade it at this point for the network adapter appears to have vanished or was somehow turned off 3.5 weeks ago. I even ran the free app called Unknown Device Identifier thinking that would be the answer to my prayers about the actual manufacture of the Ethernet Controller Adapter and the Network Wireless Adapter, but no such luck. It generated a report of 142 drivers and only two were highlighted in and labeled Unknown Device (see below). So I am back to square one and have run out of options. I also walked through Intel's
    "Fix network connection issues in Windows", but nothing makes any difference. Below is the only thing that Unknown Device Identifier app see when I run it. Do you know of any device identified that can generate detailed data on devices even when Device Manager can't see them? If you have any tips, please let me know. Thanks, Paul

@System32\drivers\pci.sys,#512;Ethernet Controller [UNKNOWN DEVICE]
    Chip: Intel 6 Series Chipset Family Ethernet Controller
    Detail
    PnpID
    VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_05
    Vendor
    Device
    @System32\drivers\pci.sys,#512;Ethernet Controller
    Chip Vendor
    Intel
    Chip
    6 Series Chipset Family Ethernet Controller
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @System32\drivers\pci.sys,#640;Network Controller [UNKNOWN DEVICE]
    Chip: Intel Wireless 8260
    Detail
    PnpID
    VEN_8086&DEV_24F3&SUBSYS_00108086&REV_3A
    Vendor
    Device
    @System32\drivers\pci.sys,#640;Network Controller
    Chip Vendor
    Intel
    Chip
    Wireless 8260

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

7. StarWizard

Thanks for finding that link Lunar Lander. I tied using the Intel site before, but every time I changed the filter operating system to Windows 10, all the drivers disappeared. I will give the Vista one a try. Do you think the second adapter for the Intel Wireless 8260 will be as obvious if I don't use the filter on it either? If I can get the Ethernet controller working, then I can go online with the same computer and update all of the other drivers including the Intel Wireless 8260. I am keeping my fingers crossed and will let you know if the Vista driver works. Thanks Man or Ma'am... for I'm sure sure what the gender of a lunar lander is:)

8. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Click HERE to get the Win 10, 64Bit driver for that Intel 8260.

Click HERE for the Intel 8259V, Win 10 driver.
    If for some reason it won't install. Then try to extract the files (Use 7-zip or the like) from the EXE. Then manually update the driver and point to the "\PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS65\" folder.

And, just a friendly warning about using the On-board RAID. You're better off getting a cheap add on RAID controller. If the board dies then you'll lose everything on the disks, unless you can get an identical board somewhere. If you use an add on controller, such as a LSI MEgaraid etc. THen you can backup the RAID config. Move to a system which already has an OS on it and then Import the configuration. Without any loss of data.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  9. StarWizard

Hey FireFlycph! Unfortunately, I tried the drivers you sent and like the other dozen or so ProWinx64 Network drivers I have tried to install, they all get hung up in the exact same place. Here's how it plays out, the executable file triggers a Self Extractor, then The Intel Network Connection Install Wizard appears, I click NEXT, then Accept License Agreement, NEXT, then I see a list of setup options that are checked, NEXT, click INSTALL and then another window appears that asks me to wait until installation process is complete, but nothing happens after that. Thirty minutes later it does show something about a failed installation.

What's the best way to manually install the drivers so I can actually point to them as you suggest. That's an option I have heard many times in chat rooms, but no one gives a detailed step by step process on how to manually install a driver. For example, where are the "\PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS65\" folders you are referring to that I need to point the drivers to? Are they in a drivers folder in the Windows tree? I hear you about the RAID warning. Hard drives are so much bigger now-a-days that I don't have the need for a RAID. Even so, your recommendation has been noted if I do go that way...

10. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    As I said. You need a utility like 7-zip to extract the files from the exe files. You can get that HERE.

Download and install 7-Zip.

That'll create a "RightClick" 7-Zip option. (you may have to reboot. I can't remember)

Use that to "Extract to "name of file" of the driver file you downloaded. It'll create a folder with that filename. (I think it's Prowin64.exe)

Then in Device Manager Double Click the adapter. Go to Driver then to Update driver. Browse for the folder just created and follow the prompts.

11. StarWizard

I will give that a try. I assume I download and install the 7-Zip for 64-bit Windows x64 (Intel 64 or AMD64) version of 7-Zip for 2019 and not an earlier version.

12. StarWizard

That did not work either FireFly. For a few seconds, it looked like is was finally going to update, but then it failed like all of my previous attempts over the past three weeks. But, the good news is a new sentence appeared in the driver install window that I have seen before which says, "The configuration registry database is corrupt? It appears that all this time my troubleshooting has been in the wrong place. In other words its not a missing or corrupt driver issue, but rather a registry issue. Any thoughts on how I can fix this in the System Registry, or even where to begin?

13. StarWizard

Forgot to attach a screenshot of the driver install window...

Attached Files:

14. StarWizard

I need your help FireFly, for things just got worse! I woke up this morning to a GSOD (yes green) on all the displays, so something happened when Device Manager was trying to install the extracted ProWinx64.exe which triggered the Green Screen of Death. Is there anything you can recommend to get Windows to boot up again?

15. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Can you run a repair and hopefully do a system restore to a previous point?

If you don't have that then run repair and go to advanced options (something like that)

Make a command prompt and run "SFC /scannow"

Also run "Chkdsk X: /r /f" (here you'll need to replace X: with the drive that has your Windows installation.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice