1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network security concern

Discussion in 'Networking' started by keepondraggin, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keepondraggin

keepondraggin Thread Starter

Hello,
    My computer was hacked the other day and I had to reformat my computer. The hijacker came in through my wireless printer, my firewall did not alert me at all the only reason i new was that my computer suddenly went really slow i checked processes and the lexdiom (my printer) was using 100% cpu. I end tasked and it didnt do anything, I went to my network settings and it said windows is not set up to control this network and i had lost all access to my own network. So i hit the wireless button on my laptop to turn it off then went and turned off my router. I didnt know what had been done so i just reformated sice i have everything backed up. My router (lynksys befw1154) is set up to only recognize the mac address i put in there which is my lap, printer, desk and palm pilot.
    My problem is that now when i go to search for my desktop, It shows two desktops one is mine, the other says its in folder unknown and when i try and click the properties it says i need to contack the administrator, well i am the admin. Is there someway to tell who is currently using my network? right now i changed the way my network is configured and turned off the printer sharing i figured i would change it whenever i need to print which is a pain. is there any way to keep my printer on the network and still be secure and how can i tell if whoever hacked me is still somewhere on my network?
    The firewall i am using is kaspersky interent security which is the trial version, i was using windows live but i didnt feel i was getting enough protection. I am not too happy with kasp right now, is there a different one anyone can recommend?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What encryption are you using in your wireless network? MAC filter is only useful for those that know nothing about hacking. Those that do know anything about hacking can easily bypass that and spoof the MAC address.

3. keepondraggin

i had to use wpa-psk becasue otherwise i couldnt get my palm on the network

4. zx10guy

Did you use a weak passphrase which can be looked up in a dictionary?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you use WPA with a strong random key, that's not how they got in.

6. keepondraggin

no not at all i used the microsoft password strength checker for all my passwords and it came back as strong.

if i was hacked through my printer doesnt that mean the person has to be near my house? i live on a deadend street and when it happended i ran outside with my dog to see if i could find anyone and i didnt see anyone. It was 2 in the morning. I am also pretty close with my neighbors except this one guy who hates everyone for no reason.

7. keepondraggin

oh.

im confused then. i tried to look at the report from kasp but during that time there seemded to be no data at all even though i have it set to log everything. And its still in training mode so it gives me the "accept or deny" pop up for every little thing.

8. zx10guy

No, someone doesn't have to be in close proximity to hit your network. A home made Yaggi antenna using a Pringle's can can give someone some excellent range. To the point where you'll probably never see them actively working your network with the antenna pointed at your house.

It's hard to say what happened without some sort of forensics on every aspect of your network and the devices attached to it. Good logging is important and I find consumer grade devices very lacking in this regard.

9. keepondraggin

any ideas of what i can do to be more secure? I thought I was doing everything correct. Also I am definately getting rid of kaspersky. Whats the best programs to use?

10. zx10guy

When you have a network technology which has no boundaries and you can't control how far it propagates, there is always risk of being hacked.

For me, I'm super paranoid. I have two wireless networks on my home network and both of them are isolated from the meat of my network which I declare as my highest trust/security zone (it's also all wired with zero wireless access.) I accept the risk that if any of my wired networks gets broken in to, I don't care. I've limited any hacker's access to anything important. On my laptop, I have a utility called Deep Freeze running which returns my laptop to a baseline configuration everytime I shut down or reboot. Those are some of the things I've done to secure my network.

11. JohnWill

I can't even begin to imagine how you figure they "hacked into the printer". If this is a wireless printer using WPA with a strong key, it's just as safe as the rest of the network. In addition, "hacking" in to the printer makes no sense, what are they going to do print something? :)

Once again, WPA with a strong key almost certainly did not get compromised, it came from somewhere else. It's actually much easier to breech your firewall defenses by a variety of measures than hack a good wireless network.

12. zx10guy

Actually, there are documented exploits where hackers went after some HP Jet Direct cards. The hackers got in to the card, loaded up some tools in the memory space of the Jet Direct cards, and then launched their attacks from there. It's been a while since I read through the write up so I don't remember the full details.

But I tend to agree with you that it seems strange for the network breach to occur the way the OP says it did.

13. JohnWill

The "got into the card" is the sticking point for me if the network is properly secured. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice