1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Security System

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NegativeKelvin, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NegativeKelvin

NegativeKelvin Thread Starter

Well, yesterday I upgraded my network with some used network gadgets. My upgrade included a
    NETGEAR FVS318 VPN Firewall, a 16 port network switch, and a WRt54G router. I tested the DoS protection on my firewall, it seems to work. I also know that my firewall is 10 years old, are there any problems with it's security, any exploits in it's firmware and such that I should secure? The firmware version is v2.2 November 3, 2003

Oh, also, this is for my home network :p

Edit: Also, is there an open-source alternative for the "PROSAFE VPN Client"?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I'm very familiar with the FVS318 as I own the version 1 iteration of it. The FVS318 line has been pretty much unchanged through the various versions with only upgrades to increase the performance of the router. The FVS318 is a rock solid router but is long in the tooth as it is several years old. Comparing the FVS318 to say the SonicWall TZ215 I currently run or the FVS338 (also owned) or the Cisco ASA5505 (also owned) you can see the feature parities and performance gaps.

For home use, you're more than adequately protected.

There is no open source alternative for the ProSafe VPN client. You would have to buy it. The only other option to use the built in VPN cient with Win XP or 2000. I have used both options. The ProSafe client is significantly easier to set up.

3. NegativeKelvin

Wait... XP has a built in client?

4. NegativeKelvin

It appears that Windows Vista has a built in client as well, now I need to figure out how to configure it

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The instructions on how to set up the built in VPN client in Win 2k is here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/970

The steps are similar with XP. I haven't done it in Vista so I can't tell you if it will work or not. Also a caveat with the built in clients for both XP and 2k is that you're limited to using 3DES encryption. You cannot use AES as the built in clients don't support this. Don't know if Vista has AES encryption support.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice